Fitzy
10-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Hi Mikey,
Is it for fresh or salt water use?
12 or 24 volt prefered?

fitz

mikey
11-07-2002, 10:42 AM
I want to use it in the salt. I really dont care if its 12 or 24 volt... is there much of a difference?

Jack_Lives_Here
11-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Mikey,

I've got the RT55AP and find that it's fine 90% of the time. It's fitted on a 455 Hornet but is sometimes a bit lacking when the wind and current come into play. Mind you it's only lacking when it has to carry mine and Sheps big guts around. If I had my choice again I would go the 65lb. I figure it's better to have the power and not need it than need it and not have it. This choice would however increase weight etc., so your decision must also figure this into equation.

Fitzy
15-07-2002, 05:44 PM
I want to use it in the salt. I really dont care if its 12 or 24 volt... is there much of a difference?

Hi Mikey,
The Minn Kota Riptide 55 is a 12 volt unit, the Riptide 65 is a 24 volter. Both are designed for saltwater use (ie the name Riptide) but particular attention should be payed to cleaning the foot control at the end of the day if used in salt water.
I've had 4 of them & never had a prob, but I've heard of some who have.

There's a few other Minn Kotas on the market that are ok, the Maxxums are cable steer so the corrosion on the foot controler is not an issue.

The new Motorguides have just hit the shelves in Oz. While none are designated for saltwater, you can put an annode on the stainless shaft & they should be ok. The Motorguides are significantly cheeper in the cable steer units & about the same in the motor steer units. The Brute series is a 12/24 volt unit that allows you to select what you'd like to use at any give time by simply flicking a switch. They don't have constant on tho.

Best bet is to go into a store that stocks both & take a look for yourself. (If in SE Qld, Motorama Springwood Marine have both)

Hope that's been of some help.

Cheers,

Fitzy..