PDA

View Full Version : To Strake or not to Strake ?

Lucky_Phill
01-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Well Ausfishers, the big boat is still havin a little problem " falling off " the swell.

The boat is a 6.2 Sportfish Centrecab.

It used to lean to the port side a little, ( all weight things and trims things done ), but the addition of Trim Tabs has solved that.

But, the B*&%$ thing still falls off the swell. As is in plate boats, it does not have any Strakes. I talked to a pro fisher a while ago, and he had a 7 meter plate boat that he called " dangerous " until he made the manufacturer fit strakes from front the end of the keel.

Has anyone else had the same probs, or does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Looking at all the old glass boats, all have straked hulls and handle great.

??? ??? ??? ???

Flynny
01-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi Phil
Having once been a sportsfish dealer ,the problem you describe was not uncommon.In fact it is an inherent problem with large pod boats with short water lines.
We used to almost manage to fix it with a change of props.

I don't know what motor you are running ,but,with Mercs we used to sort it out with Mirage 11s these props have a much larger blade area and generally allow a much lower planing speed due to more stern lift.

If you are running a Merc go to your nearest dealer, otherwise contact Steve at Just Propellors in Maroochydore Queensland, about something with similar characteristics.
Believe me it makes a world of difference.
Reg's Pete :) :)

Lucky_Phill
02-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that Pete, we are running a 150 Mariner, but at Xmas it will be replaced with a 150 Honda 4 stroke.

At that time we should contact the Prop guy ?