PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motors

Brenden
12-08-2002, 08:27 AM
I own a 4.35 Hornet and am considering getting an electric motor for both casting and trolling in both fresh and saltwater.
I've looked a the Riptide series from Minn Kota as well as the Mercury range of Thrusters.
I would be interested in anyones comments/ opinions or es\xperiences that could help me in my decision.

Thanks

Simon_Goldsmith
12-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Brenden, I also own a 435 Hornet and i was looking at fitting an electric. I'd settled on a bow-mount but the next question was what style.

After much uming and aahhing i decided on a Minn Kota Maxxum 74lb. Reason being, the shear ammount of power and the cable steering. The advantage of the last feature is the instantaneous direction control compared to a 'Riptide' of 'Powerdrive'.

And with 74lb pounds, well it's better to have more power than not enough.

The sticking point with my choice was the price $2300 approx.

And what should arrive but the 'Motorguides'. Which is what i ending up going with. I get almost the equivilant motor to what i would have got with the Minn Kota, but at a much reduced price, $1000.

I sincerely recommend for those that are now looking at buying and electric, consider the Motorguide. They beat the price of their only other competitor and from what research i've done the product is equally as good.

Regards

Simon.

Fitzy
12-08-2002, 04:45 PM
The motorguides are gunna have a big impact on the Oz leccy motor market. While none of the current models of motorguides are saltwater rated, you can put a sacrificial annode onto the stainless shaft to offset electrolysis.
The price difference in the cable steer units is significant compared to the Minn Kota Maxxum, where the motor drive & transom mount units are about the same as the Minn Kotas.
Me, I like to be able to drive my bow mount from all over the boat so I can give others a fish from the bow, so I'll stick to my Minn Kota Riptide with super long cable. I've had several now & never had a problem with any of them. ;D
With cable steer you have to be within a few feet of the unit to drive it.

I'm waiting for the radio control units for the Minn Kotas to hit Oz, then there will be no cables or anything to worry about. Just strap the control unit to your arm or leg & away you go!

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Flynny
15-08-2002, 06:54 PM
;) ;)Fitzy,
Acouple of years ago I had a radio controlled Motorguide on trial,Mate
watching the electronic doors on garages go up and down is a lot more fun than fishing in the canals.I wonder what was happening to the T.V.sets?
Flynny

aussiebasser
16-08-2002, 12:19 PM
I own a 4.35 Hornet and am considering getting an electric motor for both casting and trolling in both fresh and saltwater.
I've looked a the Riptide series from Minn Kota as well as the Mercury range of Thrusters.
I would be interested in anyones comments/ opinions or es\xperiences that could help me in my decision.

Thanks
If you are going to use the motor for trolling, I would suggest the Minn Kota Riptide range with autopilot. The autopilot is great for trolling as you really don't need to concentrate on keeping on course, the ap does it for you. For a 435, you will probably be better off goinf for a 65lb model.

StuH
16-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Brenden,
I had a Minn Kota Riptide 12v 55lb fitted to my 435 trophy when I bought it and was the best thing I did.
Heaps of power, easy to drive after a bit of practice and the long cable makes everything so versatile.
If the other is comparable in quality then go for it as $2000 is a fair bit in anyones language.
Stu.

Flynny
16-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Brenden,
don't take too much notice of aussiebasser,he spends way too much time on his own,with his own special lure.
Flynny

jonesy
16-08-2002, 09:12 PM
brenden

bought my first min kota in97 bowmountrt812 one of the first riptide models i think .42lb of thrust on4.15 stessl dingy style boat only had two problems .
should have purchased 54"shaft found if walked to rear platform the prop would chop on the surface & if the water was chopy the prop would come out of the water as the bow rose.
two,
Ibroke the auto pilot switch ,once you have been spoilt by haveing an auto pilot it's areal pain too keep altering course when you should be consentrateing on fishing.

both these things are no fault of minkota just make sure you get the correct length shaft the first time to suit your boat.begentle with the auto switch. other than that iflogged the liveing daylights out of it ,,,,chewed up two115amp/hr batteries and one 75amp/hr must have done close to a thosand hrs at mid to full speed chargeing across Hinze/bigw aroundgold coast and bribe creeks.

my next electric will be another minnkota.

regards
jonesy

aussiebasser
17-08-2002, 12:30 PM
Brenden,
don't take too much notice of aussiebasser,he spends way too much time on his own,with his own special lure.
Flynny
I seem to remember that you gave me that lure Pete. Guess what, it works too. If I could find the photo again I'd post it. ;D

Flynny
17-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Hi A/B
I'd love to seeit posted
Cheers Flynny

Brenden
17-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I did want an autopilot, but didn't know if I was being extravegent or could actually justify it as a fishing requirement (I seem to buy a lot of things I don't need!). I think I'll wait a bit longer and go the autopilot.

Thanks again

Brenden