PDA

View Full Version : Handheld 27Mhz

Struth
17-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Thinking of a GME GX 292 handheld radio instead of a buit-in unit. For close inshore work only. Any comments/suggestions on this model or on handhelds in general?

Thanks in advance

Struth

Lucky_Phill
17-08-2002, 04:55 PM
I have the old 286 5watt 6 channel and cannot fault it.

Takes 9 AA batteries ( I use rechargable GrandCells ) #or I bought an adaptor from Dick Smiths to plug into the cigarette lighter socket in the tinnie. #Must take the AA's out first.

Because I'm in a tinnie ( open ) I find it better. #I don't carry it all the time and can be used as a land base station when a northern trip is on with other boats.

I paid $100 second hand, but they are like rocking horse pooh !

your choice, weigh up the pro's and cons.

krazyfisher
17-08-2002, 06:03 PM
I too have though about a handheld radio what is the differance in range between the two.

Lucky_Phill
18-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Not a lot of diff in the range. 5 watt power in the handheld, find out what the hard mount has. ???

Kerry
18-08-2002, 09:47 AM
These types of radio's are basically line of sight so the power is not so much the controlling factor as is the antenna or especially the height of that antenna.

Basically the design and height of the antenna the better the range (within power limits).

Cheers, Kerry.

krazyfisher
18-08-2002, 10:14 AM
what about with the vhf handheld compared to fixed mount radios?

Struth
18-08-2002, 12:44 PM
These types of radio's are basically line of sight so the power is not so much the controlling factor as is the antenna or especially the height of that antenna.

Basically the design and height of the antenna the better the range (within power limits).

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill/Kerry

Thanks for the input.

How different would the performance be for a handheld versus a built-in with a standard GME antenna (1.5 m for a tinnie)? What are their working ranges?

Struth

gruntahunter
18-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Mate ,without any technical qualifications only experience, it really is land of sight so hand held or mounted is irrelevant .
I've just got a Uniden..sea-dolpin 27mg unit and it it preforms exellently and reliably.

Kerry
19-08-2002, 05:54 AM
Struth, working ranges are really not easy to define due to some of the variables. That's one of the problems with 27mHz as at times local reception is non existent yet one can receive stations miles and miles away (as in from Asia, USA etc)

The range from say a handheld to another handheld will/would be generally less than from say a handheld to a a fixed mount/external antenna in the same position.

Reception range to a shore station will most probably be different again depending on the height/location of the shore station and/or antenna.

Hard to put any actual figure on it due to the many variables but there would be generally be a noticed difference. Even running a handheld on an external antenna makes a difference and it all has to do with antenna height, there's no mistake about that..

If (and this is only an if) your area has a good 27mHz shore station, your set is ok, batteries charged etc then at a guess lets say 16km (on the safe side 10km) for most handhelds.

Cheers, Kerry.

glennaldo
19-08-2002, 06:44 AM
Save some more money and buy a VHF, much better.

Lucky_Phill
19-08-2002, 07:22 AM
I agree with glennaldo, go the VHF. I wll be updating to one soon. A few extra bucks, but, what's your life worth ???????

thunder
19-08-2002, 03:09 PM
G'day Struth, I have a Gx292 and find it a bit of a gimmick. It chews up batteries and does not run real well on rechargable batteries. The range is not very good either on the small antenna.

Let me put it this way, I'd hate that to be my only radio if I ever got in trouble on the water so if safety is its purpose my advice would be to forget it