PDA

View Full Version : trailer mantenance

adrian
19-08-2002, 05:57 AM
Hi all
taking the boat for its first long haul up north and was wondering what problems to look out for with the trailer ? I will be doing the bearings before I leave is there any other things to look out for ?

the distance is about 1000 kms of highway driving . also should I tarp the boat as have been told this helps with the drag factor

Anzac

Lucky_Phill
19-08-2002, 07:18 AM
Don't know about the drag factor in the trailer tarp ?

But, I'd tied the motor down well. Are you using a motor bracket ? If so, make sure the motor cannot move. lotsa ropes.

Sometimes when people tie down the boat to the trailer they use the straps at the side near the back of the boat, these straps can flap and wear paint off. better off tying from the rear. I don't know what type of boat you taking, but, if your electronics ( sounder gps ) are exposed, try to cover them as well.

I also tie the front of the boat. ie, as well as the winch and safety, I tie a rope to the front cleat ( near anchor well ), over the sprit and onto the trailer and or winch mount.

Make sure the spare tyre and spare bearings ( inc jack and jack handle and wheek brace ) are accessable.

I don't normally tarp the boat, but I do use a large cargo net and shit loads of occy straps and ropes. I've had experience trailering to 1770 and Turkey Beach and the Whitties, so I've done heaps of travelling and dirt road stuff as well.

Balance the load in the trailer as well.

Hope this helps. Cheers Phill

Luke
19-08-2002, 08:05 AM
I'm taking a whole new spare hub with bearings with me. Saves changing bearings on the side of the road and you can buy them for about the same price as bearings alone believe it or not. My first long tow aswell so I've also asked about this. Like Phil said balance the gear in the boat but don't overload it and put any more weight on the wheels than necessary.
Cheers Luke

Volvo
19-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Got some top advice there anzac , about the only thing i can add is some past experience of mine and that is check the wheel bearing tightness or should i say adjustment as this can see ya not only chop the ends of your axles a little but also stuff up bearings and make your car chew more fuel.
cheers

wayned
19-08-2002, 11:53 AM
made trip to tinaroo dam and return preperation of bearings made for hassle free trip . i can't stress enough the importance of padding motor snugly into bracket holder as in my case just supported motor on rubber covers and tied it down but it wore paint off down to metal no big drama i suppose but it was a new motor at the time. i put the bung in so i wouldn't loose it and wouldn't you know it rained for quit some and it didn't register that the boat was filling up http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm40.gif

Harrya
19-08-2002, 12:16 PM
I agree with all thats been said But no one thought of tyre pressure !most #important for trailer and towing Vehicle better more than less.It will help to save you fuel To.Have a good trip Harrya

Simon
19-08-2002, 12:29 PM
A tarp shall reduce your drag and help with feul economy and pick if you need to overtake. Need to make sure if won't belly too muck or flap around in the breeze as it could tear. Sounds like your heading to Mackay, half your luck.

best of luck

Simon.

adrian
19-08-2002, 02:05 PM
hi guys
thanks for the advice I'll use it all . another question should I keep the gear ( rods eskies and gear one takes when fishing ) out of the boat or pack it like on a fishing trip and should the fuel tanks be empty or full ?? there is heaps of room in the towing car should i use this room instead of the boat for all the rods tackle etc . the boat size is 4.75 mtr quinnie

DeeGee
20-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Anzac, In principle it is better to have weight in the tow vehicle rather than on the trailer.

This is even more important if the trailer does not have brakes.

My trailer is braked, but I always put heavy compact stuff in the car and light but bulky items like pillows, sleeping bags, empty containers etc in the boat.

Regards, Don.

Volvo
20-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Mate keep your Rods seperate and preferably in you car. make sure to place some cloth between the tips and tie or tape together to prevent them from shaking against each other, hence broken tips or guides.
Ide leave the fuel tank emty till ya get there and fill with fresh fuel.
As for the rest?? ide share the load.
Cheers

landy1
20-08-2002, 09:35 PM
g'day all
for securities sake put the good stuff in the car and might be worth carrying a couple of spare wheel nuts to suit the trailer and a spare jockey wheel screw. also might be worth getting one of those trailer locks. otherwise remember to have a heap of fun.
cheers

littlejim
21-08-2002, 05:37 AM
Anzac,
could I suggest a praccy at jacking the trailer before you go. The first time I had to put the spare on, found the jack wouldn't fit under the axle, and it couldn't lift the frame of the trailer high enough to get a wheel on/off. Had to use the middle of the vehicle's spare as a jack stand. Now carry a block of wood of suitable thickness to do the job. With a practice run you'll find out if your jack does the job OK or whether you need something of a particular thickness to put the jack on to get the lift. The pumped up spare needs a little bit more height to allow it to go on.

Jack_Lives_Here
21-08-2002, 07:52 AM
All good stuff there Anzac. The roads are generally very good up to just past Cairns.
I avoid loading anything in the boat. If you have a unbreaked trailer, it doesn't take much to take it over the magic 750kg mark. A boat trailer is really only designed to carry the load of the boat. If the tyres a looking a little tired replace them. A blown tyre at speed is scary stuff.
Bearing buddies are good investment for any trailer.
Had different views on tarps. Most guys I've spoken to said that the tarp tends to imbed any of the road grime and crap into the paint work where it rubs.
If you are heading off road with a tinny I would suggest that you protect the hull with some old carpet. Lay a long length of carpet on the skids and winch the boat up as normal.

adrian
22-08-2002, 06:03 AM
thanks alot guys it's amazing what little things i've forgot like the jack and wheel nuts for the trailer . I'm glad I asked

anzac