PDA

View Full Version : You tell me what you want in a boat

Flynny
09-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Custom built boats are easy because the people we build them for know what they want.
Guys tell me want YOU want, and maybe we will be able come up with a sort of generic product that meets your needs.
We're talking freshwater here! And I am looking hard at Topenders for Saltwater Fly, We need your input.
Don't hold back give me both barrels!
If we are going to put together an outfit that suits you we can't do it without your input.
Flynny

Lucky_Phill
10-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Being no freshie, I'd say a boat that had about 5000hp ( enough to get me lift off to the saltwater and beyond ) ;D ;D ;D

Can't help tou here Flynny, but I know in the late 80's the Glass boat builders ( haines, mustang,cruisecraft etc ) got the hull shape right.

Been trying to improve it ever since, but nothing beats the old V19r's etc.

Had it right then, leave it alone, I say.

;) ;) ;D

Flynny
11-08-2002, 08:31 AM
::)I gotta agree with you there mate!
Two of my mates own 19 Haines ,One guy has had his since the mid 70's and would not swap it for the world.
Cheers Flynny

macca
11-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Flynny

I like your web site, but when are we going to get boat packages with prices even if suggested retail.
I know it's early days for your web site. And I know you are trying to get package boats together, can I suggest how Ford Australia's web site was or maybe it still is like this. They quote prices over the internet by making the customer choose what options they want.
So for instance a base model car is the starting point for the price point and then a list of options are given, so each time the customer chooses an option the all up price changes.
I think it would be great if this type of system was used on boat dealers web sites. I know it wouldn't be the final buying price but it would give the customer a starting point.

So there you go something to consider.

Regards

Macca

Finnie
12-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Just to add to Macca's comments, Dell computers also have a website where you "build" your own system. Maybe have a look at it?

Pretty helpful when you are sitting down and try to figure out what each combination of options will cost.

Cheers,
Finnie

Flynny
13-08-2002, 07:24 AM
Thanks Macca and Finnie for your comments,we are working towards doing this,and if you have a look at our site from time to time it will happen
Cheers Flynny

Barrymundi
13-08-2002, 08:17 AM
Great Site.

1. The email for sales was bouncing requests last week.

2. I send an email to sales via service last week. No Reply.

Web presence is a great idea.

A method I like it a standard reply like "We have received your e-mail and will get back to you shortly..."

At least then you know the e-mail has been received.

The method of asking for a receipt when sending e-mail doesnt always work becasue it gives you the option of sending a receipt.

Keep up the good work

Flynny
13-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Hi Barrymundi
pretty painful with that Email,it has been rectified,atlast
Cheers Flynny

deb
13-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Flynny,
From a ladies point of view! Just keep it straight and smooth edged inside!! Nothing more funny (or worse) depending on your viewpoint than watching a double hookup dance around, curse when an edge is caught!
cheeers. ;D

robgps20
13-08-2002, 05:09 PM
If i were to get a NEW boat i'd want full floor, front and rear casting platforms, a livewell at the front and a livewell at the back, front around 80L+, back around 60L+, fully plumbed, lockable rod lockers, lockable storage compartments, bow mount electric, dual battery compartments, rear battery compartment to crank motor, soft ride, FAST ride :), 4 stroke outboard, charging system from motor to batteries and from 240V to batteries, side console, decent sounder one on console + one up the bow, various seat posititons, underfloor fuel tank (fairly large for long journey's), self draining hull. Thats about all i can think about for what I'd want in a boat for the time being. ;D ;D
Cheers
Rob Russell

tonyp
13-08-2002, 06:06 PM
Flynny,

I would love a boat with a bow to Transom raised floor,But I have to keep my young ones in mind and not be inconsiderate of the family..

Large forward casting deck raised is a must,with dry storage area for lures and cloths. lean seat is not an issue.
Twin rod lockers is a over kill in my opinion. I find they are a rod storage,for when trip home and over night otherwise all my rods are on the deck. If I had a fly rod break it down and put it away. If you are a full on fly fisho yes have a 9ft locker but otherwise a smaller one is suffice.

Only one large live well at rear cast deck with a divider. Again why waste space with two livewells if the divider is there.? Ten bream fit in a small one, and I have heard of up to 8-9 Bass in a small one also and are OK.
Cranking battery up the front next to the side console,and twin batteries down the back for the Bowmount.
Full low sporty rails for added safety for the kids and somewhere to put rod holders for trolling. And gas arms to hold the lids of the big forward lockers open. In some area's we are still a way behind the USA in the fit out of a Boat.
One sounder is enough if on a budget mounted on the side of the console on a ram bracket,just turn it round and you can see it from the bow.
My 2 bobs worth anyway.
And if the boat is bigger enough and fast enough a ski pole for the time when fishing is slow. Now then it would be a true universal outfit.

Tony.

Flynny
15-08-2002, 07:18 AM
Thanks Tony
your comments are always appreciated.
cheers flynny

davo
20-08-2002, 05:23 AM
I went to the tinnie show in Brisbane earlier in the year and was disappointed with the offerings. It seems that plywood with carpet glued over it was all the rage in boats. After pricing out a few of the Topender type Quintrex's I went for a ride in a Fisher plate alloy. I could get what I wanted in a much better hull with better features for the same money. Sold my pressed alloy boat and in about a about a month I'll be on the water again.

adrian
20-08-2002, 08:27 AM
hi gang

what is the ideal boat ?? as with most guys a raised casting area front and rear heaps of storage underneath with room for eskys live tanks anchors etc. bow mount electic motor bbut for when the fish aren't playing the game about 4 female deckies for the blokes :P :P :P and male deckies for the girls ( have to put that one or else the girls will gang up on me ). all in all the best boat is one that you can afford to own and run with out breaking the bank.

Anzac

Flynny
22-08-2002, 04:41 PM
I am adressing this response to Davo in particular,Mate I could not agree more ,Plywood Glue,ugly hinges,Mate you have never been closer to the truth.
New boats that we are putting together have expanded alloy panels
for hatches rather than ply,which has to warp!
We put together a couple with fabricated alloy hatches,great but heavy!
Believe me we all want to move forward with this,I want Aussie boats to be the best in the world,and I can't see a single reason why they won't be with continous input from all the people that inhabit this board.
Thank you for your comments,keep them coming.
Flynny

Scott_Mitchell
24-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Flynny:You've already built it and it's in my garage #;D

As the others have also mentioned I to would preffer going with "all" alloy hatch covers - possibly using checker plate ??

Other than that all I can say is your service is second to none - and I am wrapped with the "Super Hornet" #8)

Regards Scotto

Flynny
24-08-2002, 03:43 PM
Thanks Scotto
Glad you are enjoying it,
Flynny

macca
24-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Flynny

There are so many package prices you could come up with when you look at the hornet range. I would like to see a basic, middle range and all extra's option, displayed as a package price shown across the hornet range say from 435 to 500.

For instance, in the 435 size.

Basic- Hornet trophy with 40hp 4 str tiller, H/duty trailer,70 litre fishwell, bow mount motor and with Quintrex accessory pack.

Middle- Hornet trophy with 40 hp 4str, side console,H/duty trailer,70 litre fishwell, bow mount motor and accessory pack.

extra's- Hornet trophy with 40 hp 4str, side console,H/duty trailer,70 litre fishwell, bow mount motor and accessory pack, 300 mm extension on forward casting deck, rod locker, u/floor fuel tank, may be a extended rear deck.

3 packages could be offered across the rest of the range ie. 445,475,500.

1 package offering a little more than the other but still showing value for money.

It really depends on what type of fishing you do and how often you go. Do you compete in the tournaments or do you fish for recreation.

I fish for recreation and I find your options for some of your boats on your web site are over the top.

You have to remember most of us do have wives and it can be hard convincing the missus that these boats are value for money.

Any way more thoughts of mine.

Regards

Macca

Flynny
24-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi Macca
In a perfect world I would have to agree with you 100%.
Even in an imperfect world I agree with you.
I would love to post every package price on hornets ,however they run into the hundreds,here's what I can do now.
Give me a fax #,tell me the range that you are looking ,and,I will fax you prices for each model in your target range,postings will follow but
it will take a little time. I am very new at this web page business,and struggling along doing the best I can.
Flynny