PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Tralier Preparation

Jack_Lives_Here
31-08-2002, 05:10 AM
Chasing some tips on preparing the trailer and boat for hauls over rough country / roads, as experience on some of the FNQ roads.
I've got a factory trailer with 8ply light tyres fitted. It's carrying a 455 hornet with a yammy 50hp on the back.
I figure to put carpet under the full length of the hull to prevent it being holed from stones from my own vehicle. I've been told a cover is a must but i'm still not convinced.
A
ny hints / tips for traler prep would be appreciated.

dazza
31-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Hi Dave,
My first tip yould be is don't use your boat to store extra gear in. It increases the weight and will stress your hull.
I have split my hull because of improper setup. I am in the process of putting a couple on new rollers under it.
The weight of the 4 strokes seems to be the big killer. Use a decent motor support.
My boat lives on corrogated roads, and it has caused a fair bit of grief.
I don't know how you have got your trailer set up but the above may help you avoid the problems I have had.
The guys who sucessfully tow boats all the way to the cape, usually strip the trailer and put heavy coppers logs down each side of the trailer and sit the boat on that. Don't think the hornet would sit too well on that though.
Hope I have been some help
Cheers
Dazza

dazza
31-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Dave,
Unless you want to be washing dust out of your boat for the rest of your life. I would use a cover. Mine is made out the same stuff truck tarps is made out of. It is absolutley fantastic. Tuff as nails, comes down the sides a bit to stop stones etc.
Cheers
Dazza

Jack_Lives_Here
31-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks Dazza. Using the boat as a box trailer is a big no no in my opinion. Got a support bracket. It attaches to the traler and supports the leg. I just trim the motor into the padded V and lash with a rubber strap. If travelling off the black stuff for any length of time I usually cover the intake on the leg, try and keep as much dust out as possible.
I think I'll have to bit the bullet and organise a cover. Any suggestions there. It obviously has to able to fitted while towing.
I suppose alot of it comes down to the nut behind the wheel. If it takes 1hour to go 10 k's and I'm not bashing the rig around than that's how it is.

mick
31-08-2002, 11:33 AM
dave
take your nav gear and sounders off before setting out. the vibrations from the road dont do them any good. tie your boat on. ive seen some fools towing boats that arent tied down at all. i dont mean from the ramp to round the corner, i mean 120k/hr down the high way. i guess they will learn the hard way ay. you can also buy "bras" that cover the front of your boat to stop stone chips on dirt roads.
remember, its safer to assume people driving caravans are deaf, blind and dont care.

mick

adrian
31-08-2002, 04:20 PM
hi gang
I'd would be in favour of covering the boat . as i've done a trip to yamba and traped he boat on the way down and not on the way back ( on the way home used double the fuel ) ,also see the page on trailer mamtiance for other tips as well

Anzac

dazza
01-09-2002, 09:40 AM
CARAVANS >:( >:( >:( >:(
I am sure they sign a contract on purchase which pledges their life not to let anyone overtake them on the road. I can see them now- sitting around caravan parks bragging about how many cars they have had lined up behind them.
Its a conspiracy, beware they are out to get us ;D ;D
Dazza

born4fun
01-09-2002, 05:08 PM
In the latest NAFA mag there is a short article about trailer setup for towing long distance it may be worth a read ( page 96). I towed my boat to weipa a couple of months ago and the cover i got made was invaluable, it's made out of vinyl and cost a bit but well worth the money. Another tip is to take your battery out of the boat and carry it in the car if you can, corrugations and batteries don't mix there's nothing worse than getting to or favourate fishing spot and find the batteries dropped a cell, it's alright on a small motor but a 90hp would be a bitch to pull start all the time.

Good luck &
Tight lines

fatman
02-09-2002, 08:19 AM
I would recommend a full width and height mudflap across the back of your tow vechicle to stop stones and things getting thrown up onto the bottom of the hull.
I would also be looking for off-road type tyres for the trailer, LT have 8 ply walls, but still only 2 ply under the tread. And make sure you have a couple of spare wheels for the trailer.
cheers
FATMAN

StuH
02-09-2002, 07:10 PM
G'ay All,
Just read a simple tip in the latest Bush and Beach Mag.
After towing for some distance let the trailer bearings cool down a bit.
That way when they hit the water they won't suck in as much moisture.
Sounds simple but makes sense.
Stu.

Mad_Barry
03-09-2002, 07:01 AM
Dave,

Best thing to do is when you drop thru here, leave the boat & trailer with me for a while # ::) #I'll look after it #;D, & you can continue your trip up the hinchinbrook without having to worry yourself #;D

You won't really need it. You'll be far better off just "wading" around the mudflats with your fly rod ::)

And if you want to go around to Zoe bay ??,, well,,, it aint that far to swim ;)