PDA

View Full Version : Soundproofing tinnies?

whopper
20-08-2002, 04:16 PM
I was thinking about trying to lessen the noise emitted through the bottom of my 14ft tinny using that tar stuff that is often used for automotive soundproofing. it is ugly but most will be under the floor so probably not a problem. has anyone done this or anything similar? are there any other options as quietness is paramount in most of the situations i get myself into in search of fish?

brian66
20-08-2002, 06:19 PM
gday whopper.. mate i now the stuff your talking about i wouldnt put it any were near a boat god only knows what sort of stuff they put in it.. probibly eat the arse clean out of it.. dont think it would do much good for your noise problem anyway..carpet would be much better i think.....thats my opinion any way mate....brian

whopper
21-08-2002, 04:01 PM
cheers brian, its actually just a type of tar which can be used on metal/aluminium but i agree its probably not going to make much of a difference. might look at getting the whole thing carpeted.

kris

thunder
22-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Best solution I can think of is buy a Honda four stroke they are unbelievably quiet. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif Unfortunately unbelievanly expensive. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm21.gif

jack_attack
23-08-2002, 04:05 AM
If you have a false floor in it you can fill the cavity with expanding foam. You can buy it in a pressure pack can. Carpet is also very good at keeping noise down while fishing. If you happen to drop a sinker you get a dull thud instead of a loud fish frightening clang.

Steve44
29-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Using foam between the hull and floor is the way to go. I fitted a ply floor into my tinnie at the same time I removed the centre seat. Under the floor I placed all of the floatation foam to ensure the boat would still maintain positive flotation. For aesthetics I also carpeted the floor.
I now have a much quieter boat with all the necessary flotation I hope I never need. I see someone else recommended the use of expanding foam. This withwork but you will have to maintain a drainage path from bow to stern as the foam will expand so much to block up any void.
Good luck with your project

Flynny
05-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Hi Whopper
To Quiten Down A tinny You Need To take A Couple Of Things Into Consideration.
1/ Don't put any reactive substance near Aluminium.
2/ It Is A Tinny After-All.
3/ If You Really Wany To Quieten Down The Whole Deal,
Get A Heap Of Plastic Garbage Bags.
Buy Yourself Some Blowing Foam.
Mix It In The Bag ,And Push it into The Underfloor Space(follow Instructions carefully here.
You End Up With A Quiet Barrier Of Foam Which, You can pull out to make any neccessary repairs,should they ever be neccessary.
Flynny