PDA

View Full Version : Wot's doin Yamaha ?

Lucky_Phill
19-08-2002, 04:12 PM
found this info confusing:-

This system helps achieve a dramatic boost in combustion efficiency that improves fuel economy by up to 20% compared to conventional carburetor outboards, while also ensuring cleaner exhaust emissions. ( this is from a Yammie dealer )

This revolutionary fuel injection system boosts combustion efficiency dramatically and cuts fuel consumption by up to 30% compared to conventional carburetor outboards.

( this is from Yammie themselves )

Both are giving a report on the HPDI 2 strokes. ( the 175 to be precise )

any ideas ?

is someone telling porkies or is it a numbers game ? # # #??? # # ::) # #>:( # #;D

Flynny
19-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Hi Phil
Direct injection is a wonderful thing
I have lots of experience with the
Optimax system used by Mercury and have found the fuel econy staggering
at least as good as fourstroke.
Regards the HPDI I really would not want to be around when a fuel line
let go
Flynny

Bill_Corten
27-08-2002, 07:57 AM
Hi Phil

As you know I am very happy with the 175 HPDI on "Reel Affair".
My experience of the motor has been about a 30% fuel saving over the carby model 150 HP Johnson on the last boat. While that motor was excellent with lots of grunt in its class compared to its competitors, it was also known as a thirsty motor.
I feel the Yammie dealers claim of 30% fuel efficiency, if comparing motors of similar HP, is credible.
For the record, the HPDI is averaging an 18.6 litre per hour overall fuel burn on offshore trips and bar crossing courses. The latter is thirsty work, so the average is bloody good on a rig which weighs a little over two tonnes (boat, motor, trailer, 195Lfuel and offshore gear on board too).

Cheers
Bill

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif #

Lucky_Phill
29-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your reply Bill, all I was questioning was the reported difference by the dealers and Yamaha themselves in the same web site.

Would make it a little better if they got it the same. Maybe I should take it up with them ?

Yeah, that motor of yours sure sounds sweet. It appears that we are still going ahead with a Honda 4 stroke for the Sportfish at Xmas. I'll be at the boat show to talk to Yamaha, and see if they can change my mind. ;) ;D

Smithy
01-09-2002, 01:54 AM
Don't discount the Fichts and Optimaxs. Have a mate running a Haines 6.2m Warrior with a 175 HPDI Yamaha. It is using more fuel than a 175 Ficht he had on it. He bought the Ficht to replace a carby OMC 175 just before they went bust. He had no problem with it other than when his boat sunk in Runaway Bay marina during a Game Tournament. Luckyily he was tied off a couple of other game boats so the bow stayed up and it was only the motor that drowned. Full insurance job but during OMCs dramas so he went the Yamaha. Be an interesting comparison to see how an Optimax stacks up. The Yammie is good but he prefered the OMC. They are still miles in front of old carby 2-strokes though.

Lucky_Phill
01-09-2002, 06:34 AM
As you know Smithy, the FICHT were a disaster when they first came out. Trouble being ( from what I've gathered ) is that OMC tested the FICHT's in sweetwater. The rough Aussies give them a much harder work out and they failed.

OMC have probably fixed the problems by now, but as with most things boating, it's what you are used to. The Optimax series sounds really good too, as they have been running Formula 1 for years with Mercury. I think the days of the Old Black Anchor are gone.

I am not looking hard at the Yammies as I am super keen obn the Honda 4 banga for the Sportfish. I need to talk with Yamaha at the boat show, first to clear up the difference in fuel stats and secondly to see if they can come up with a motor in 4 stroke comparable to the Honda.

I have heard that the Yammie is a more corrosion resistant motor ( inside ) than the Honda.

But having a mate who is pro fisho ( mackerel ), and one of the most fussiest bastards around, he's been jumping on the soap box, sprooking about the Honda for a few years now. I am putting a lot of faith in his opinion.

What really has to be done ( and it can't for a few years yet ) is buy the comparable motors, run them to certain hours, compare, purchase prices, fuel eco's, and maintenance costs. Then when things start to go wrong ( corrosion, electrics, etc ), then ond only then will we know, what's doing !

So for now, it's all a matter of homework before we go and spend 15 plus grand on a motor. ;D

born4fun
01-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Phill,
In the latest F&B mag. it was saying that Suzuki was coming back into the Aussie market. Suzuki was the market leader in 4 stroke technology a few years back, check out the Suzuki web site it lists most models and spec's. I think the contact number in Qld was 32714400. If there're trying to move into the market they could be offering some good deals, doesn't hurt to inquire.

Ian. :D

Lucky_Phill
02-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks Ian, I'll do that.

Now for the interesting part. While at the boat show I bailed up the Yamaha dealers, Talked to a bloke ( who's name I will withhold, but has been at the show for many years and is high up in Yamaha ). I asked him about the fuel savings between the new HPDI ( 175 in particular ) and the old Carby model. Now remembering that the web site from Yammie said 30% and the dealer site said 20%, the show bloke told me 40%. ??? :o :-/

So ! where do I go from here. No where. I have complete faith in Bill Corten's figures in that there is a 30% plus saving.

What did the Yammie guy do when I showed him the printout from the web sites.................. ::) . He just said, " well, it should be all the same, shouldn't it ? ".

I replied, that it would be helpful not to have conflicting reports.

So here ends the post, and more research to be done. 8) ;D ;)

clutter
03-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Phil,
The Suzuki's were at the show so I don't know if you had a look at them. Anyway, its Suzuki that make the Johnson range of 4 strokes, would be interesting to see how they compare the two in performance, economy and price.

Clutter.

Heath
04-09-2002, 03:48 PM
Phill,

Beleive me when I say that some...most dealers ( in Brisbane anyway) wouldn't have a clue about the very product they sell. >:(

Smithy
04-09-2002, 06:54 PM
I think it was only the generation I and II Fichts that had a problem. It was a worldwide problem as well, not just Australia. The V-4s didn't have a problem as well, it was just the V-6s. The one fitted to the 6.2m Warrior was a Gen III. Have a mate running a 90 Ficht and it is returning great figures. QDPI is also running quite a few V-4 Fichts without any problems and some with some big hours. Also a little bird told me at the boat show to wait a little bit and there will be some big news in the world of Yamaha. The Suzuki 140 would be worth a look on its power to weigth ratio. That is what is going to kill a big Honda. Have just looked at a couple of boats running 130 Hondas and they both had foils on. That would be because of the weight.

Big_Kev
12-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Phil I believe that a salesman will always tell you what you want to hear . At the end of the day you are about to buy a product to do a job.
You seem to be having a very good look around . But not only do you need a good product but good after sales service and parts and a willingness to accept a fair warrantable claim .
When your motor dosent work it is worth nothing .
I have only heard good reports about the Yamaha and have had a Yamaha on my last boat , which I bought new . Would not hessitate to go back there . Cant know with the Honda but ,never had any thing to do with Honda apart from what I have heard .Good on fuel, run sweet as and very quiet , corrosion problems in early models and heavy , Whatever you buy in the two I think you will have plenty to brag about
Reel