PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat

jaybee
14-09-2002, 11:31 AM
I could probably ask this question at the local boating shop but decided for feedback from tried and true users.
I have some hairline cracks i would like to attend to. I have found in some boating shops a bog like mixture they say is gel coat..should i buy this or stick to buying a more expensive gel coat and hardner..if the bog like stuff has been tried and successful.. Question: do u V cut it with a grinder before filling like gelcoat the feedback I have recieved from the shops is to sand it first..have found a site on repairing gliders and apparantly sanding has not been successful.
cheers

Lucky_Phill
14-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Hairline cracks eh JB !

Maybe some Botox would help ??? ;D or keep out of the sun and use a good moisterizer ! ;D 8)

Can't help old age JB. ;D ;D

OH ! you were asking about hairline cracks in the Gel Coat of ya boat ! DOH ! ;) ;)

jaybee
14-09-2002, 01:16 PM
onya phil i could expect as much from u ya clown ROFLMAO..but come to think of it I do have more hair on my head then you eh... ;D Plus I'm older
cheers.

Kerry
14-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Hair line cracks but sort of no point fixing them without trying to find why.

Where exactly are they and is something starting to move underneath ???

Cheers, Kerry.

blaze
14-09-2002, 04:55 PM
Hi jaybee
From my understanding (from info from our local fibaglass man,does all the local boats) gelcoat is basically resin with a color, as is flowcoat, apparently gel coat outside and flowcoat inside boat. if you have cracks they sound like stress cracks and you need to look at the inside first if you can (possible some rotten timber inside floor cavity) Cut the floor out and check it jb as it could save your ass. cheers
blaze

jaybee
21-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Found some good stuff on the net plus talked to a few fibre glass manufacturers..don't be paranoid..read this page http://www.nsc.ca/TechTalk/

have had the boat inspected at a price and hairline cracks are expected mainly from launching and retrieving especially in the strakes...I used to be concerned about osmosis but when u read this report..
For a 30 footer, it should take about 50 hours of work and cost about $1,100.00.

http://www.nsc.ca/TechTalk/osmosis.htm

its not as bad as some make out
cheers

blaze
21-09-2002, 06:06 PM
hi jaybee
good info
cheers blaze