PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary motor?

dsh111
17-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Would it be unusual for a 4.3m coxcraft with 70 merc to have an auxillary motor on the back? I often take it fishing up to Jumpinpin and out the Seaway and don't ever want to be left drifting due to a breakdown, usually got the kids with me-I suppose I could line em up out the back kicking! What size motor should i look for, do i drop it straight on the back next to the big one? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. (I've got a spare 35 johnson with forward controls if anyone wants to swap for a small auxillary outboard...or if anyone has a cheap auxillary motor for sale let me know)
Thanks...

Lucky_Phill
17-09-2002, 01:17 PM
Don't take this the wrong way Snappy, but, If I wasn't confident going offshore with my main motor, I wouldn't go at all.

Have the faith. Anyways, the VMR are there to help, as well as the rest of us out there. Become a paid up member of the VMR and rest easy.

;D ;D :D

blaze
17-09-2002, 09:09 PM
hi
over here in tassie its law to have paddles (what a joke) or an auxilly in all boats under 6 meters. I have all the conferdence in my 70hp but i always took my old 10hp johno with me (now upgrade to a 4hp johno, lighter and newer) the boat is a 4.1 fibaglass runabout. Its all about peace of mind and what price is a life worth.
cheers
blaze

SNELLY
19-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Snappy,

I'm with lucky Phil Join your local VMR and have a good radio if you don't already have one. Be buggered if I want to attempt to make it home with 4 or10 hp when you can have 400hp getting you home in pretty quick time. The other issue is how reliable is you auxillary going to be if it doesn't get much use.

kevin
28-09-2002, 04:32 PM
Snappy

How good is your aux
The best insurance is safety and the UMR
If you don't trust your main motor,maybe you should look at a newer motor or a better service program.With a reliable main motor an aux when needed sometimes fails due to lack of service and use.
The end result you do what is comfortable for yourself.
Cheers Kevin

kevin
28-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Please excuse my typing it should be VMR sorry guys
Kevin