PDA

View Full Version : MV Coral Sea..V..MV James Cook

griz066
25-09-2002, 02:53 AM
Hi Guys,
Was wondering if anyone has fished either of these boats in 1770. What were they like? what was the catch like? was 1 better than the other? and why. ;)
http://www.agneswater.net
Boat is under attractions.
James cook has no web site 8)

Luke
25-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Fished the Coral Sea out of Hervey Bay when Tex Howard used to run it and it's old, and not real roomy or stable but seen us come back through quite a few rough seas. Tough boat. Also fished it with Peter Budd in 1770 quite a few times and our work crew go out with him atleast 3 times a year although I don't go that much anymore. Always puts you onto good fish(seen a lot of big reds pulled on board) but like a good captain moves spots when he thinks you've got your share.
Cheers Luke

craigie
25-09-2002, 01:47 PM
G'day Griz066,

Tend to agree with Luke regarding the 'Coral Sea'.

Fished on it a lot over the last 10 years, both under the Captaincy of Tex Howard and now Peter Budd.
She's an old Boat that rolls around a bit, mind you we have been out there when the Weather has got very nasty (25 - 30 knot South Easter) and it took 14 hours to get back from the Bunker Group to Hervey Bay !!
Got heaps of Photos if you would like me to post a couple on this thread ??
Peter Budd's Deck hand is a guy named Bryce, top bloke who will go out of his way to help you. I've seen him catch nice Coral Trout and give them to the customers who may have had a lean day out on the Reef.

Cheers
Craig

dazza
26-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Don't you guy's mean the "Cruel Sea"
I am sure that thing has done 360's at times. Had some great trips with Tex out of Hervey bay many years ago
Good solid old boat though
Cheers
dazza

griz066
27-09-2002, 03:02 AM
Thanks Guys,
But I have been out on the Coral Sea myself and while she may be an old boat and a slow boat the fact is she is a safe boat, as we are all back to talk about her.

I was mainly looking for info on the MV James Cook as we are tossing up which boat to go out on.
Thanks for the reply's.

Hit me with the pics craigie.

Lucky_Phill
27-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Keep ya shirt on Grizz, I'm heading up to 1770 / Bunkers over chrissie and next year. Might need a crew !

It'll be an overnighter at Hoskyn and fishing Bolt etc, same as the two boats mentioned.

Still agree that Coral Sea is a bit too uncomfortable for me though.

If anyone is heading to Hervey Bay, check out Tasman Venture 11 with Lloyd Burgess. 50' cat and fast and stable and comfortable with room to move.

But then again, when I get this new 4 banger on the transom, it'll be offshore, offshore and more. Might even be able to fish New Zealand with the fuel figures proposed by the dealers ??? ::) :o ;D ;)

craigie
27-09-2002, 01:17 PM
So your looking for a crew Phill ???

The old 'Coral Sea' may not have all the modern comforts like Air Con, Fast Hull etc, She keeps getting me to where the fish are and for that I am most thankful.
May she float forever or IF NOT, May her last voyage not include me ;D ;D

I've attached a few Pic's from onboard for your pleasure. Check out the ocean in the background, just beautiful.

Cheers
Craig

craigie
27-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Nice 20lb Red Emperor back when I was a bit younger, still my PB !!!

craigie
27-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Tusk Fish and 'Glassed Out' ocean, 50k's off the coast of Gladstone.

Lucky_Phill
27-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Here's my Coral Sea Spanglie as well ;D 8)

Geez, I wasn't too bad looking back then. January ;) ;D :P

bugman
28-09-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry .... but would people who say they are going to include photos of fish caught - not submit their stories for someone elses photos.

I've met both Craigie and Phil - and I can see neither of them in this post.

If you've got the time take Kanimbla out of Gladstone.

The level of expertise comfort and fishability has been taken to a new level by these guys. Well worth the extra bucks.

Out of Hervey Bay we take Seaspray with Captain Barry Seamore. Nice big 46ft cat which is very stable and gets to where the fish are. We've had her out in 4m swell (don't ask) and still fished.

Bugman

griz066
02-10-2002, 02:01 PM
I made a booking on MV James Cook, will do a comparison and post the results. :o 8) ??? ::)

Smithy
02-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Pity I came in on this a bit late but I would be checking out Sportfish 1770 Charters. It is a big Lightning Plate Alloy with twin Honda 90s run by Peter Stevens, an old Mackeral Pro. There have been plenty of stories on it in QFM the last couple of months. The cover shot from last month with the bloke holding up the Spaniard was Peter. There is also a top article by Bundy based journo/school teacher Robbo on Peter in the QFM glossy magazine.

Peter fishes the modern way by using lighter line/braid etc plus he uses liveys. He will chase whatever is around and go wherever he has to. In season he like to chase the Mackeral but he will also spin for Tuna when they are on hence the Sportfish in the name of his operation. If you are on a bottom bouncing trip he will drop in on the 2 mile bait grounds and load up on liveys before heading to any of the local reefs. If the weather is good he also heads to the Capricorn Bunker group and he is a bit of an expert at Hoskyns Reef. By using liveys you would clean up on big Trout. He would have some Red Emporer spots for sure as well.

I have found him to be a very approachable bloke. He has been very generous with providing me GPS marks and I haven't even been on a trip with him. I have just talked to him at the ramp and on the phone a couple of times. If anyone is heading up he will have the good oil on what is being caught and where.

Every time I have seen him pull up at the ramp the customers look happy and the eskies have looked impressive. This has even been on local trips in shitty weather.

I too have been on the "Cruel Sea". First thing that used to annoy me on the older charter boats was they never had rod holders or if they did not many. When we went with Tex she had just been in for a paint and no rod holders had been put back in. We had to lash some PVC ones on because they wouldn't let us use hundred mile an hour tape on the new paint.

One other boat that annoyed me in the rod holder department was the "Spewah" ("Sewah") out of Bundy. Another rolly polly old style charter boat. I remember trolling all the way from Musgrave into Bundy holding on to my TLD-25 for one strike because the mongrel didn't have trolling rod holders. At least I got two big Spaniards off "Cruel Sea" using the PVC holders on the long trip back to Hervey Bay.

Thank God I have had my own offshore boats the last couple of years meaning my charter boat days are well and truly behind me.