PDA

View Full Version : Which VHF channels to use

rwells9999
05-10-2002, 06:42 AM
Most times when I go out I log onto the VMR coastguard. I use VHF all the time, as I’ve found 27mhz next to useless. Whilst the emergency channel is 16 and the supplementary is 67, there is some confusion as to what channel the VMR is using as a working channel on that day. I have often gone out using one channel, tried later to contact the VMR on that same channel and have not had any response. I have then made contact with the coastguard on a different channel. I don't wish to criticise the coastguard service as they do a splendid job, but I just wish that some standard could be made so that we don't have to channel hop.

bugman
05-10-2002, 07:57 AM
Oh I'm glad you asked ;D ;D.

Having just purchased a VHF myself, I contacted coast guard Redcliffe for all the details - so here goes.

Emergency channel 16 and 67 - monitored by everyone all the time.

Channel 73 - Inside Moreton Bay and monitored by all VMR's in the region.

Channel 21 - (NEW) Main repeater channel that services open water up to 100 miles off the coast from south of Gladstone to Byron Bay. Built behind the lighthouse on Moreton and sponsored by Redcliffe VMR and the Govt. The arial is going to be lifted another 14 metres in the near future to expand coverage to Bundaburg to Port MacQuarie.

Channel 81 - Is the old repeater that is still in existence but has shadow areas - hence the new 21. Can still be used for around the bay and outside.

You can use 16 if you can't raise anyone on the other channels and they'll tell you what channel to go to.

NOTE: channel 21 has a 20sec automatic cut out because of the Ohms (power) put out by the transmitter. Either keep your call to under 20sec or release your finger from the call switch and then depress again if you need to continue.

WEATHER SKEDS

VMR Redcliffe puts out weather skeds for Double Island point to Coolangatta on Channel 21 at:
Mon - Thurs 0700, 1230, 1730, 2100
Friday - Sun 0700, 1230, 1730, 2100, 2230.

VMR Redcliffe do Moreton Bay weather skeds on request on channel 73.

VMR Bribie Island and Mooloolaba put out a regular Moreton Bay weather sked on 73 but I've been unable to find the exact time.

A big thanks to Ray at VMR Redcliffe who sat down and had a chat with me for a while over this issue.

Hope that helps everyone.

Brett

Lucky_Phill
05-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Bloody good reply Brett.

As a matter of fact, one of the best replies to a post I've seen in a while.

IT's a relief to know that some of us fishoes are keen to cover all aspects of fishing, other than just getting a fish on the hook. Safety on the water should be at the top of most peoples list, when heading out. ;) ;D