PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering

rwells9999
08-10-2002, 04:09 AM
:)
Hi all,
After some years of putting up with cable steering Iv'e finaly bit the bullit and invested in a Hydraulic steering. I must say that the differance is remarkable, no effort and NO feedback to the helm. If youv'e got the spare bucks and do long trips which I seem to do these day's, the the bucks are well worth it.
Robin

Smithy
08-10-2002, 06:10 PM
How big is your motor?

I believe the better option in mid-size motors is non-feedback cable. It is only about $50 on top of the cost of a normal cable. I can't believe Australian dealers aren't fitting this as standard. Anything to make a buck I suppose. In the US if a boat doesn't have hydraulic steering it at least has NFB steering. This is a safety issue more than anything. It helps to eliminate steering torque and helps to eliminate boats going into full lock turns accidentally through steering torque. In the US they are running much more horsepower then we run so this is an important issue.

Some hydraulic systems are too slow lock to lock for game and sportfishing when you are chasing a fish and around marinas etc when you need lots of manouvarability. That is where NFB is all over it.

rwells9999
09-10-2002, 03:50 AM
Yes I hear what your'e saying. In my case I already had a NFB helm installed, and I agree that they are far supperior to the standard helm, my arms got the better of me on day whist battling some heavy swell. Hey, hanging onto a steering wheel for an hour and a half ain't fun.Iv'e only go a 70hp on the back!!

Flynny
09-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Hi Guys
What Smithy Is Saying Is Essentially Correct For Of The Shelf Systems,
We Put Together A system With Very Few Turns Lock To Lock.
Trouble Free,hands Free,And Sensational To Drive.,
Smithy See You At The Golden Lure ,Drive one Of Our boats And make Up your Mind Then
Flynny