PDA

View Full Version : Boat Value

Brezz
09-10-2002, 07:33 AM
Hi guys I have just finished restoring my 5m Nova half cab. New respray of Gelcoat on hull and deck( finish is better than from a mould) New windows, New floor and carpet, New wiring, 115hp 84 Mariner reconditioned 3 weeks ago. Heavy duty drive on trailer. Features are; 5m in length, Stainless bow rails, Tinted Windows, Sleeps two, 75lt under floor stainless tank, builge pump,New Garmin 240 sounder, New Garmin GPS,AM/FM Cassett, New carpet, Rod holders, Bait table, Spot lights, Deck lights, cabin lights, Nav lights,New 27Mhz Radio, 4 life jackets, flairs, V-sheet, epirb, Twin Marine batteries with selector switch,Grapnel anchor, Two fold down seats, Canopy and a drive on trailer in excellent condition. All work was done myself as a project except the motor. The hull is in excellent order. I have only spent 1 hour on the water since the project was finished just to make sure everything was all ok. The motor has to run in over a 20hour period. It has a top speed of 60km/h. Which was measured by the GPS on a glassy day with three adults on board before the motor was rebuilt. So once the motor has run in it could be more?? I now want to sell it so I can get ahold of another project and do it up. But I am not sure what It would be worth now. Any ideas, even ball park figures. Cheers.

Lucky_Phill
09-10-2002, 01:36 PM
These sorts of things are always tricky Brezz.

Trouble being, no one appreciates the amount of work that goes into a project like this.

One of the best options is to but the Trading Post or check out online Boating Sales sites.

All sounds very good and would be a good buy for someone, but finding that right someone is the tricky part.

The hull is great and the trailer is good, but people get a bit suss over a motor that is 18 years old. And that is the most important part of a boat package these days.

I completed a very similar project about 5 years ago, with a Nova and 140 Johno.

It took about 3 months to complete the project. Boat was great, looked new etc. Some one made me an offer I couldn't refuse. With the extra money, I upgraded motor and boat for newer models.

Not wanting to offend you in any way, here's my estimation of pricing.

Trailer = $1,000
Hull = $2,000
Motor = $2,000
Electrics= $1,000
extras & safety = $750

Total being $6,750, but the right person could be willing to pay up to $8,000.

IN other words, I don't really know ;D ;D ::) ;D

gruntahunter
09-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Just from reading your post and guaging your enthusiasm about the boat, I reckon you are probably after more than phil has said.Am I right?
If I was in the market 4 the sort of rig you have I would be looking to pay no more than 6500 .To pay much more than that I'd be looking for a nice Haines with a lot newer motor.
Anyway mate lots of luck, this is only my opinion and I have been known to be wrong MANY times ;D

Brezz
10-10-2002, 06:11 AM
Well yes I was hoping for much more.
I have looked on the net @ Boatpoint and there were two boats exactly the same as mine but not restored, they were asking twelve for one and thirteen for the other. Both with the same age motor as mine. Go figure???

mackmauler
10-10-2002, 06:48 AM
Tell him he's dreamn.

predator
10-10-2002, 05:10 PM
I've found that older boats over the 10 grand mark are very hard to sell, and lets face it there is heck of a lot of people looking in this price range.
As the others said, once over this and the boats are more modern with later motors...
If it's as good as you say, I would start at the 10 or 11 grand mark, cause you can always come down in price!
But be aware that if you start too high you probably wont even get a call.

Kal
11-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Hey Brezz
How did u go about re-gelcoating the hull as i am restoring my boat at the moment.

Thanks in advance

KAL

blaze
11-10-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi all
just wondering why you re gelcoat, why not do the minor repairs and paint in 2 pack
cheers
blaze

Brezz
12-10-2002, 04:33 AM
Well there are a couple of resons, first I did not have the facilities for spraying 2-pack to get a good enough finish, although it was pretty hard work wet rubbing I did get a better finish then you would have from just spraying on 2-pack and most of all far cheaper...... just for the gelcoat and acitone cost me about $100 (I know a few guys in the trade) compared to just over $300 for 2-pack. Also gelcoat is alot easier to work with when doing repairs to fiberglass and/or the gelcoat it self.... Oh and Kal did you still want info on re-gelcoating???

Cheers

Kal
15-10-2002, 11:05 AM
yes Brezz i sure do as i am re-doin my floor and thinking about tidying up the outside.thanks mate

kal