PDA

View Full Version : avice on price

Maccatak
21-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi fella's
I'm looking to purchase my first boat and have come across a 5 metre Swiftcraft Tempest hull with a 1975 135hp 2 stroke Evinrude motor. The hull looks in great shape as does the motor as it has apparently been housed in a shed most of i'ts life,and the owner seems the fanatical type. The dashboard, seats in fact all the interior looks A1, it comes with a travel cover, canopy, lifejackets, marine radio, two fuel tanks,anchor, 2tonne electric winch, galvanised trailer. I'm getting the motor checked by a pro ( is the age a worry). We took it for a test run and could not fault it, the asking price is $6000.00. Does this seem reasonable or would I be paying too much?
Thanks for your time
Maccatak

mackmauler
21-11-2002, 04:49 PM
IMHO the age is a worry :o As a first time boat buyer my advice to you would be, old boats can be a lot of work ;)

Big_Kev
21-11-2002, 05:24 PM
I'm with Mackmauler boats are just a big cash barrel that you keep stuffing money into , and even more so with an older boat .
Best to start with the humble tinny and for six grand you will sport a new 3.9mtr with a new 25hp on the back .
Just the upkeep on the old boat would make the repayments on the new tinny .
And after 12 months in a small boat you will be able to part with it get most of your bucks back and have the know how to get into something that you will be more confident in .
Regards Reel Hard

Maccatak
22-11-2002, 07:17 AM
Thanks Reel Hard and Mackmauler
I'll take your advice and think smaller and more modern
Maccatak

SteveCan
22-11-2002, 07:50 AM
I have to buy into this one too I reckon.

Two years ago I found my first boat, a 1974 16ft Sportman Craft Contessa with a 70 HP evinrude for $4500. I felt I had a bargain - and truth be told we love the boat. The hull is in excellent nick as are all the fittings, she is stable, big enough to take the family for a days boating and to take outside to the reefs (which I would have problems doing in a tinny) - Lots of good stuff.

However I have had to replace the gearbox ($1400) and the trailer ($1200) and had a few problems with the steering ($270) All up including maintenance I have probably spent about $8000 over two years. For the pleasure the boat has given me I do not begrudge a cent - but Reel Hard and Mackmauler have not given you bad advice. the only point that I would make is to consider the type of fishing/boating you want to do. If you only want to do the estuaries and rivers then a tinny is definitely the low cost option - but if you want to fish outside then you need a bigger hull - and one way or another that means bigger cost.

Good luck - and let us know when you get your boat! It's fantastic being a boat owner! ;)

Cheers
Steve.

blaze
22-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi all
Just to add my two bobs worth
I have owned 5 different boats over the last 25 years and enjoyed them all. I think all boats are like having a hole in your pocket, but what price do you put on the pleasure of boating and fishin. I am currently doing a rebuild on a pride trihull, even at the age it is a solid hull that needs that tender lovin care. So i think want I am tryin to say is that if well maintained and serviced regularly the older boat can be a cheap alterative. I also think an older glass hull is better than an old tinnie
cheers
blaze

Maccatak
23-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Gooday again,
thanks everyone for the great and varied advice. We have decided we want to do some reef fishing as well so the a larger boat will be necessary by the sounds of it. Thanks Steve and Blaze for your comments, it got us thinking about what we really wanted and needed. will let you know what we get
Thanks again
Maccatak