PDA

View Full Version : cleaning/polishing a Tinny?

stephen_t
21-11-2002, 12:27 PM
can any body give me the best Solution to cleaning up a tinny ? like polishing it or using steel wool ...
I want to clean the outside of a tinny any suggestions would be helpful.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm17.gif
cheers
stephen t

mackmauler
21-11-2002, 12:31 PM
There are chemical cleaners for alloy, most chandleries sell em, Cheers

Big_Muddie
21-11-2002, 12:41 PM
G'Day Stephen.

Leann Payne not long ago suggested using a truckies product called Moon Metal. I have some but haven't fully cleaned the hull yet but the test area looked good. It's available from Highway Trucks (I think that's the name) at Rocklea and isn't terribly expensive.

It removes the oxidization from the alloy and leaves it looking like new. Easy to apply (with a bannister brush) and hoses off.

Hope that helps.

Big_Kev
21-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Super cheap have a product known as CT12 , It is a pink acid type fluid that you spray on and wash off .
And if you want to polish to a mirror finish , any form of cut and polish as used on car paint will cut the mustard .
However hard work is involved in the mirror finish and in the salty enviroment will not last to long I would think .
Regards Reel Hard

coasty
21-11-2002, 04:22 PM
I've polished my tinnie every 6 months since i've bought it. it still looks great and its 6 years old.
i use a good quality truck polish and wash it in truck wash

webby
21-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Hi Stephen,
I have a vehicle detailing business, depending what condition the tinnie is in if it bad, get some hydrocholoric acid and dilute it 10 to 1 , if you have one of those 5 or 10 garden spray bottle use that to spray the exterior, put some gloves on and rub over with a sponge then hose off, we use it on all alloys and it strips them right back. to put a shine back onit get some ultra gleam its distribute by Ferris car care over at albion 88 lever st , but u will need a buff and foam pad to run over it.
If you tinnie already has a good alum' look just use the ultra gleam.
regards

stephen_t
22-11-2002, 01:09 PM
thanks for the replies folks I live just down the road from super cheap so I might have a look at the ct 12 suggestion from Reel Hard.
and if it requires a buff might head off to albion or rocklea

thanks again

cheers stephen t :)

Big_Kev
22-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Mate I probably have a bottle of that stuff under the house if you want to try a bit .
Can drop it off to Tingalpa on the way to work if you want to send a PM
I will be happy to help you out .
Regards Reel Hard.

Lachie1
23-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I have heard that you sholdn't buff tinnys cos it eventually wears down the thickness of the aluminium so i wouldn't buff it but if you really want to polish it then i know that ct12 stuff works 8).

Cheers, Lachie

Big_Kev
23-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Buff through a tinny .
Mate I think you have had your chain pulled .
You would have to grind it or be doing the job drastically wrong .
Cheers Reel Hard

wayned
24-11-2002, 11:04 AM
I USED A 50/50 MIX BRASSO & TURPS.WORKED A TREAT BUT HAVE TO ADMIT HARD WORK BUT THE RESULTS BOUGHT IT BACK TO LOOKING GREAT . IT WAS NEARLY A SHAME TO GET IT WET & DIRTY AGAIN SO HAVEN'T DONE IT AGAIN. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm45.gif

robgps20
25-11-2002, 12:22 PM
G'Day Stephen.

It removes the oxidization from the alloy and leaves it looking like new. #Easy to apply (with a bannister brush) and hoses off.

Hope that helps. #

I thought the oxidation layer that forms as a result of the reaction with aluminium and saltwater protects the aluminium from corrosion? Thats what i learnt in chemistry anyway, and was one of the reasons aluminium was good to use as a material for a boat, the oxidation layer prevents corrosion. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm3.gif

Cheers
Rob

stephen_t
26-11-2002, 02:36 PM
hey reelhard
sorry to get back 2 u on monday thanks for the offer to drop some around, I ended up getting a product from supercheap ALI-BRITE it has cleaned the tinny up nicely almost like new this should last a couple more years. ;D
I can see the point that big_muddie is making but once in a blu moon of cleaning the hull (properly), and with a bit pride in my tinnie should help the resale value at a later date.

anyway big muddie I left school before chemistry in senior so I will plead ignorant to battling the fight against rights or wrong with oxidation.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm13.gif
cheers for the replies

and any way my boat is nice and shiney again ...

Kerry
26-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Bit of a catch 22 :o as the first thing alloy does when cleaned is try to protect itself with a skin (oxidation).

Might as well bought a painted one in the first place (to hide the corrosion in due course) so why try and polish it as alloy has one stubborn mode when cleaned ???

Cheers, Kerry.