PDA

View Full Version : Hornet vs Nomad vs Custom

sooty_mad
13-11-2002, 02:49 AM
Hi to all the boaties out there.

I am in the process of purchasing a 4.3m (or there abouts) dedicated fishing boat. The boat will be used in north Qld waters, in dam, estuary and some offshore work on suitable days. The boats ability to handle typical Cleveland Bay choppy seas is important.

After many hours spent in and checking boats out I have got it down to a 4.3m Quintrex Hornet Trophy, a 4.2m Sea Jay Nomad Elite or getting a custom boat made up. Money or resale value is not really the issue as I want a boat that will fit my needs for many years to come.

My biggest questions seem to be to do with the hull design. The Hornet although giving an excellent stable, dry ride etc seems to need a lot of power to get up on the plane and rides at an uncomfortably steep angle at low speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems even worse with the new hull design.

The Sea Jay seems to have the better allround ride etc but doesn't seem as stable at rest and doesn't offer as much quality room for fishing.

To get exactly what I want, I have strongly considered having a boat custom made. There is a company in NSW that makes a boat with a hull very similar to the Sea Jay however it is made from 3mm bottom and sides. Great for withstanding long term abuse.This boat comes with many standard features that off the shelf boats don't have and can be set up as you wish during construction.

Does anyone out there have any experience/opinion on any of these issues or am I just being too fussy.

Kind regards... David

scroman
13-11-2002, 03:04 AM
Dave - Cleveland Bay Townsville?
Anyway lived up that way for a few years and made the mistake of buying a cruise craft 22ft for offshore work - hardly had a weekend that was worth it.
Went and bought a Hornet trophy 4.2m. 30hp tiller drive. LOVED IT!!
Yes they can be a little sluggish off the mark - super stable, however when in a two foot slop they tend to ride like a big garage door. To compensate for the angle of ride I had an extended tiller arm that allowed me to stand more central. In a 4.2 and me being 105kg I had a huge angle to deal with. Balance is simple with that hull. There is another company in Cairns called Cairns custom crafts (I think) and they design specific hulls for chasing barra and offshore stability. If they still exist you can find them on the net. My hornet with all the features and electrics came to $8100 as a package. Sold it two and a half years later 200hrs as it was the day i picked it up for $8700.
Don't know if that has helped but good luck anyway ;) ;)
Scroman

krazyfisher
13-11-2002, 03:10 AM
One more have you looked at the stessle(spelling) angler 435 took one for a run a week ago I was very impressed 3mm bottom and sides nice fitout.

DR
13-11-2002, 03:58 AM
It's worth having a look at the Webster 4.3 Twinfisher. It covers every thing you require.
cheers
DR

Big_Kev
13-11-2002, 04:10 AM
Ive been looking for a tinny for a few weeks now and I am still to be convinced that the Quinnies are worth the extra .
I realy feel that any boat looked after tends to hold its value .
And I do not see any better quality than other brands apart from design features that are intended solely to reduce the price of the boat .
I seem to think that for the same money you can get more with another brand .
I would realy tend to go to a local builder and that way you can see the boat come together and you will like it even more when it is built just how yopu say .
Cheers Reel Hard

sooty_mad
13-11-2002, 04:47 AM
Scroman

Thanks for your reply. Yes Cleveland Bay, Townsville. I lived there for 25 years before moving down to the Gold Coast for work back in 1980.

With river systems like Crocy Creek, the Bohle, the Haughton, the Ross and with Hinchinbrook and Peter Faust Dam within 3 hours easy drive it isn't hard to see why I go back there fishing 4 or 5 times a year.

I know of your frustration about owning an offshore boat in Townsville. Perfect weather all week followed by a 25 knot south easterly blowing up Friday just in time for the weekend. We always reckoned it was natures way of preventing over fishing the reef - meanwhile the estuaries cop a hammering.

Regards... David

Big_Kev
13-11-2002, 06:53 AM
25 knots blowing in on friday arvo sounds like Brisbane weather . http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm29.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm28.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm27.gif

mackmauler
13-11-2002, 08:02 AM
I really like the fisher 4.5, alloy draining deck, makes it easy to clean and the hull has a very fine entry and strongly built.

Silver_RX
13-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Stacer 435 barra elite is something like the older triangle nosed quinnie hull. I dunno anything more about them, but I will be looking at one on Saturday. http://www.stacer.com.au/

Jack_Lives_Here
13-11-2002, 10:06 AM
Had 3 Hornet now and can say they hold resale value very well.
My 455 is very stable in the sloppy stuff - off Bribie chasing toona and the likes. Fished 3 at Hinchinbrook in Sept no probs at all.
I was looking at a Seajay but couldn't get any service from the 2 dealers I visited.

Simon
14-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Have you looked at or considered any of the Glass boats on offer. many will fit the exact thing your after and its easier to do alot of the customising yourself.

Cheers

Simon.

sooty_mad
15-11-2002, 02:24 AM
Thanks to all the replies, however I'm more confused than ever. I'm not buying the boat until January so at least I still have a couple of months to do some more homework.

Kind regards... David

Brett_Finger
18-11-2002, 02:33 AM
Mate,
the Sea-Jay is a fantastic boat !! ;D
with most Sea-Jay models it is possiable to customize the hull.

in other words speak to the dealer and tell them what you would like the hull to be fitted out like.
and if it's at all possiable the guys at Seajay will fit the hull to your specs.

i have owned 4 Sea-Jays and loved each one,i just kept changeing hull designx until i got the one i have now.

i am totally happy with the configureation of this hull but... :P
would love to transfer this fit-out into a Nomad ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hookin,Brett

sharkbait
18-11-2002, 11:23 AM
I'm with Brett - the seajays are a great boat for the money. I was looking at the nomad deluxe but felt that with the floors they are way too shallow for bay and offshore stuff. I went with the 415 magnum standard with 3cyl 40hp yammie and have no complaints at all - it planes easy and rides pretty flat at low speeds even with one person in it. It can get a little wet though with a fair chop although I have found this in all tinnies of that size. Go with the max hp for the boat if you can - you wont regret it. I was told by a few people that the 40 would overpower the hull but am definitely happy with it.

sooty_mad
20-11-2002, 03:42 AM
Brett

Your last comment about .. "you would love to transfer this layout to a Nomad" raises a question.

Given that I will use the boat 100% for lure casting the lakes, (Peter Faust etc) estuary work around Cleveland Bay and on good days semi offshore say around islands such as Gould, Magnetic and Hinchenbrook, would you go for the Seajay Nomad/Stessl Angler style of hull or the Hornet/Stacer/Bermuda style hull?

I guess what I am trying to find out is if the Nomad/Angler hull style is stable enough for stand up lure casting.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards... David

Brett_Finger
20-11-2002, 04:16 PM
;D ;DIn the words of the grestest wrestler in the world... HELL YAH!!!!!!
good as gold cob, good as gold, #;D #;D
nothing wrong withthe hull i have, it is the perfect smooth water boat.
i have just got this proublem when the tuna are running i'm out there in a Barra Boat chaseing them...
i guess i just want the best of bouth worlds.
Hookin,Brett

mackmauler
20-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Brett, have you looked at some of the tube style boats, bit of a secret just how versatile they are, Ill send you some pics of mine if you want a better look, no worries with survey and that stuff ;)

Brett_Finger
20-11-2002, 04:29 PM
what breed ??
Hookin,Brett

mackmauler
20-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Brand wise mine is an oceancylinder, wouldn't recommend these at present, just a wee bankrupcy prob ;) orca, kiwi craft, customs can be made as well, basically alloy D shape tube welded to heavy plate boats with nice deep V.

Brett_Finger
20-11-2002, 04:59 PM
MM,
i'll stick with the Sea-Jay, a good strong Queensland built product!!
Hookin,Brett 8)

mackmauler
20-11-2002, 05:46 PM
The only 1 that wasn't Qld made was kiwi, OC should be back quiet soon, they are great with big fellas ;) my 4.4m has taken loads of 700kg and still very stable, not much fishn room left then, Been quiet popular with Darwin locals the OC,

Cheers Rob

davo
26-11-2002, 04:01 PM
This boat may be a little big but a Fisher plate alloy 4.5 m is my suggestion. I've just christened my new 4.8m side console with a few Awoonga Barra. It handles Moreton bay chop with ease. Basically think of a Quintrex topender and turn it into plate and that's it and for a Topender price. There are quite a few up your neck of the woods.I love mine because of the self draining deck and sealed floor. Mine is going up to Hinchinbrook.Check out the latest Queensland Fishing Monthly for details.

team_mongo
26-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Mackmauler, are OceanCylinder going belly up? I was looking at these about 2 months ago. Visited the factory in redcliffe and they seemed to be going strong. In fact its the same factory as Pacific Sportfish (Now called DeepVee I think??), and there was probably a half a million bucks in boats in the factory..

It would be sad if OC went under as their boats are excellent (probably one of the most sea worthy small plate boats around) if somewhat expensive..

Cheers
George