PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke oils

jamesmcjim
30-11-2002, 03:54 PM
hi all.
what oil do we all use?
ihave been using valvonline.
has anyone used the western oils one? i am thinking of trying it as is a fair bit less money but not if it hurts me motor. jamesmcjim

Fisherman02
30-11-2002, 04:02 PM
hey mate
i use 2 stroke lawn mower oil seems to work fine
cheers jack

Kerry
30-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Outboard 2S oil must be to TCW3 spec's, and if it's not then one has only themself to blame, in cases of engine "issues" due to "inadequate" oil.

Cheers, Kerry.

banshee
30-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Kerry, what's your view on mixing different brands of TCW3 oils? I have a quantity of Mobil that I would like to use in my 115 Black Anchor(40 hrs) but it has only ever had Quick Silver in it. I have mixed equal amounts of each in a jar and they have not jelled, they have been mixed for about 2 months.Anything else I should be aware of?

banshee

Big_Kev
01-12-2002, 03:29 AM
My opinion is that I would only run a recognised brand ,as you will only get what you pay for .
I ran a cheap oil once and the smoke was a shocker,and the motor was harder to start .
Went back to the good oil and hey presto easier starts and less smoke .
In the last boat it was fitted with a black anchor so to speak and I would only ever use the Quick Silver as this is the manufacturers oil,it cost a few bucks more but settled any mental anguish that I had as to bad oil .
And I would definetly not mix oils as different manufacturers use different additives and these might not mix that well .
And I am just waiting for my four stroke to turn up so I wont have that worry anymore , only to worry about what fuel to use and what engine oil to use and wheather it will hurt it running at WOT for to long .Does it ever end??? http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm44.gif
Thats my two bobs worth ,Reel Hard

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-12-2002, 04:01 AM
I had a 5hp Tohatsu for trolling a few years back & ran it on the BP 2 stroke outboard oil & had nothing but problems - I put it down to the age of the motor.

Then I got a free bottle of Shell Nautilus 2 stroke oil in a competitors bag at the Flathead classic. Never had a problem with that motor again.

In my Mercs I've always used Quicksilver (the Mercury brand) simply cause that's what they reccomend (thinking warranty). Its a touch more pricey but I've never had a problem.

chris

ps does anyone know FOR CERTAIN who makes Quicksilver oils for Mercury.

Kerry
01-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Kerry, what's your view on mixing different brands of TCW3 oils?

Banshee, can't say I'm a fan of mixing any oils.

Different brands of TCW3 ??? huum maybe but I'd still probably run one down as far as possible then dilute with the new stuff as much as possible.

Many years ago when changing from TCW2 to 3 (oil injection) actually drained most of the old oil (couldn't drain it all) and filled from scratch.

Actually that was a worthwhile exercise in that one could see what warning lights and alarms were doing (and if they actually worked) both on the way down and the way up.

The old TCW2 oil I gradually fed (over time) through the tanks for bad days when a little more oil was generally warranted considering the water being injested.

Cheers, Kerry.

fibre_glass
01-12-2002, 07:08 AM
Have always used Shell nautilus and never had a problem.
I buy it by the 20 ltr drum for around $80 and it lasts a full year.

Scottie
01-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Hi guys, I use AMSOIL synthetic 2 stroke oil and have never had any problems with my little 4 h.p. Johnson. It burns very clean and smokes very little.

Cheers, Scottie

banshee
02-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks Lads,think I'll feed the Mobil through the chainsaw and brushcutter
and keep the Merc on a diet of Quicksilver.The dealer I bought my motor off claims Shell make Quicksilver,
but I got the impression he didn't realy know.