PDA

View Full Version : Side consoles

macca
02-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Currently looking at buying a hornet 435. My past boats have had tiller steer. I'm thinking of taking the side console option but I can't make up my mind.

What is the for and against for having a console?

Is it such a wise option?

My fishing is freshwater, 80% casting 20% trolling.

Any advice appreciated.

Macca

krazyfisher
02-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Macca
I had a 435 honet tiller and it was a great boat just wish it had been side console. My new boat is side console and it does not take up to much room, gives you storage and a good place for sounder , gps etc, easier to drive more comfort better to troll with and I find it very handy when casting as if I am by myself it can be started steered forward and back with one hand aswell as being able to stand up and drive giveing better vision all round a great option. The things against it is $$$$$ and it does not give as much room as a tiller.
Either way you will have fun ;D

Big_Muddie
02-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Macca,

My boat is a 420 Explorer. I started out with a 30HP tiller steer but found it lacking when it came to grunt and heavy loads.

So up I went to a 40HP 4 banger and had to go with forward steering so that I didn't go over the transom weight limit. That meant a side console.

I had mine made - total cost including painting was approx $240. I enquired from Quintrex about their side consoles and then got a price from a Quintrex dealer (this was before I decided to have it made). Price was over $600. Didn't take me long to decide after that :)

End result - a very happy boater! I really haven't sacrificed a lot of room as I now store my tackle box, cameras and a couple of other things tidily out of the way under the console. My rods are now kept in a rod holder attached to the console - much safer than having them on the floor etc. GPS and fish finder are better positioned and much easier to read. The boat is very stable too. I also consider it to be safer in choppy conditions as I now have something to hold onto and brace myself against.

All the things that krazyfisher said I totally agree with - even the $$$$$. It cost more to have forward steering but I really didn't have a lot of choice given my needs.

All things considered I made the right decision and am extremely happy with the outcome.

If you live around Brisbane and would like details of the manufacturer just let me know.

Good luck with your decision making.

Big_Kev
02-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Go for it . You'll be more than happy you did .
Kev

Jack_Lives_Here
03-01-2003, 07:31 AM
Macca - was a sceptic myself. Now I have the Hornet 455 with side console I wouldn't go back.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-01-2003, 11:56 AM
macca,

always had tiller steer in the past.
Now have a 475 Stacer Nomad with 50hp. Its a topender, with side console, traditional type hull as opposed to the hornet, but similar deck configuration.

Points against side console. :-/

:-/ With a bit of side breeze & some chop you do get wet.

:-/ Does limit fishing space from the console side & access to the transom if you have a couple of blokes fishing from the transom. I learnt to remove the drivers & passenger seats from behind the console & place them further forward in the boat, once at anchor. This allows you the freedom to walk around the rear of the boat to gaff a big fish from either side.

:-/ trolling wise with two blokes, the driver has it a bit arkward, he either holds his rod, or if you rail mount it the only practical place is behind the drivers seat or flush mount in front of the console in which case you have to reach around the console to grab the rod.

Points for ;D

;D better vision than a tiller & its amazing how many accessories can be fitted on the console. Underneath it I stow my second anchor.

;D Crabbing solo is so easy because you are on the side at the controls.

;D Likewise you can be in control from outside the boat ie like standing in the water at the boat ramp or on the driveway at home.

;D It gives a great working area in the centre & front of boat for stuff like cast netting or the dark & mysterious practice of fly fishing & easy quick access to the front anchor.

Apart from a wet face every so often I love the Nomad. I'm not sure if the hornet have a pod as standard, if they don't I'd reccomend paying the extra. It improves the seaworthiness of the boat (you can do stupid stuff like reverse into chop etc) & it gives that bit extra deck space at the rear.

cheers,
chris

casey
03-01-2003, 03:42 PM
macca

i have a 420 explorer trophy with side sports console controlling a 40hp evinrude 4 banger, and have to say i wouldn't have a tiller for quid's mate..

i feel the only draw back is the space factor, but that is because its the sports model, but if you get a custom one made, you could make a smallish console that could be made so it pivots, enabling you to get it out of the road more so than if it's fixed...

either way, i would go a console on the hornet, the look shit hot too..

casey hilton.

sooty_mad
04-01-2003, 03:49 AM
Macca

I have just been through the process of buying a new boat and was faced with the same question. After much soul searching and time spent in many different boats, I think it depends totally on the type of fishing you do.

There is no doubt in my mind that if you spend a lot of time lure casting up tight mangrove creeks or in amongst a lot of thick timber on the dams then a tiller steer is a better option.

In most other cases, provided you can get the room on board to do the type of fishing you like, then a side console is a comfortable way to go - although as Chris mentions, trolling can be a bit of a pain.

Given the type of fishing you prefer (freshwater lure casting) I would stay with a tiller steer and put the money saved towards a bow mounted electric with auto pilot. There is no doubt in my mind if I had to decide between a side console or a bow mounted electric, the electric would win every time.

Regards... David