PDA

View Full Version : Southwind ub 520

krazyfisher
09-01-2003, 04:50 PM
I will be looking at a new boat again this year I will be after center console 4.8-5.2mtr and not a tiny either glass or poly so far I like the south wind ub520 has anyone had anything to do with these boats I am after abit of feed backand would like to have the price around the $25000 or under would be nice.
thanks

Smithy
10-01-2003, 06:57 AM
The UB I went out was a good boat, they ride well and are safe with heaps of built in bouyancy and a self draining deck but the bit that annoyed me was it had no gunnels to lean into. #At the end of the day I had cramps in my toes and feet because you have to curl your toes up against the side and lean back on the console to brace yourself. #

I would be be looking at any of the other glass boat manufacturers and if they do full gunnels. #Boats like the Hookers, Cyclones, Wahoos and Galeforces etc. #UBs are also pretty hard to customize. # There was a big thread going on them with Trouty etc. and some West Oz fellas on Fishnet about warrenty and fit out issues. #Not sure how that ended up but it was a big saga for a while.

Polys are good and cheap but wet from what I have heard.

Speaking of wet I used to have a Blackfin15 CC. #Ron Campbell on the Gold Coast still has the moulds and does them with a pod now. #Back when I was looking for mine originally a basic hull was about $7K, a 70hp motor $7K and a trailer just over $2K.

POC
12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi krazyfisher

The boat I fish from most often is the UB520 can say that if I were to buy my own boat it would be one of these units.

In terms of handling it is a great boat in moderate off shore seas and a great boat in rough bay seas, we have had this particular vessel 55 Km’s offshore to the reefs off Lucina (sounds foolish I know but if you pick your days its ok. We were in company with a larger boat so we had a fall back position.) Having said that we had to carry an extra tank, from memory the range of the fitted tank is approx. 90 K’s on a glassed out day using a 60 HP engine.

Downsides, it’s a small boat so storage is limited, like all small boats it’s a case of being organised. One thing that solves the storage issue is the fiberglass esky we have permanently mounted forward of the console, heaps of storage space and it acts as a seat for two. When we go wide we empty it and use it for the fish given the under floor kill tank is un-insulated and doesn’t keep ice well (we are thinking of getting a smaller tub made for the kill tank and insulating the free space to make it more effective). The two batteries and AB switch are mounted forward in the console, this allows us to maximize the two rear lockers to maximum effect, we store the buckets, sinkers, yabbie pump etc in one and tackle trays in the other. We also mounted a storage tube in the top of the console for keys, cameras, phones etc. it has a clear screw in lid and works well.
Anyway I could go on for hours about the set-up on this boat, partly because we spent so long planning and researching to get it right. I would agree with the previous poster that they are not an easy boat to customise but with enough research and the right tools available you can make it a very workable vessel. From the size of this paragraph you may realise that my passion after fishing is setting up small boats!

One downside, the boat does tend to lean violently at rest when everyone runs to one side to see the catch! It’s a case of educating the crew. I am no boat builder but I think this is a result of a narrow vessel for its length, a trade off for great handling. When under way we have yet to find any bad attributes and it is an incredibly dry boat too.

Next downside, there is as such no well for the anchor or rope unless you count the forecastle as a solution. We over came this by making a reel for the rope and mountings for the anchors. There I go getting back to fit-out again.

If you do buy one I would seriously recommend paying the extra money for the bimini top or start saving as soon as you get it.

If you ever get down to Brisbane let me know and I will show you how we set it up or if you want I can send you some pictures of the modifications we made.