PDA

View Full Version : downrigger 4 saltwater

Basil
16-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Is it worth putting one in? :(

fibre_glass
16-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Great when the fish are not on the chew. I use mine when chasing mackerel and trawl one on top and the other on the downrigger.Catch has always been 4 or 5 to one.
there was a writeup in last fridays outdoors Courier mail .Check it out.
downriggers are good fun once you have used them a few times getting clip tensions right and so on .cost a bit though .missus asked what I wanted for xmas once , won't do that again!!!!!!

Lucky_Phill
16-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Just started using mine, and with limited success. I haven't had it out in the area I want to use it yet.

I want to target Amberjack in water up to 50 meters deep. This is the ultimate.

Zac Paletic utilizes 2 interfased d/r's with the sounder for terriffic results. Mine is a Scotty and costs about 400 big ones. And then there's the bomb on the bottom. Have perfected the making of these critters now. Beats the 40 plus bucks to buy one. I can knock them out for about 10.

Home made jobs are all around, and Webby did a story one them in Decembers BnB or was that Nov's ?

These units will be become as popular as GPS's in the next 5 years.

DeeGee
17-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Couldn't agree more. They are well worth the time & effort, especially if you can pick one up at the right price to suit your budget.

They can also be used to fish in heavy currents without heaps of lead, as well as for trolling. Lately I find myself doing more "stationary downrigging" than the trolling which I originally got mine for.

BTW Phill, what method did you eventually use for casting your bombs??

Cheers, Don.

craigie
25-01-2003, 06:53 AM
G'day Phill,

I've got a Canon 'Easi-Troll 2' on Lay-By with MO Tackle. Will take for ever to pay off but I'd rather blow money on fishing gear than anything else.
I don't think the Bomb is included, so would you be interested in selling me one or two of your home made ones ??

Cheers
Craig.

Smithy
25-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Why bother making one when a 10lb bomb is about $29-$32 in the shops? Smaller ones are cheaper!

jaybee
25-01-2003, 10:43 AM
here you go guys, don't know if phil is using this but have posted this twice before, hope it helps
cheers
joe

http://johnsbigplans.hypermart.net/jbp_drw1.html

Basil
25-01-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm definately putting one in now. I just don't know why to get one pass the wife...x-mas seems a long way away. It looks as if I have to improvise for the time being.Thanks for all the advise.
Regards - Basil. :D