PDA

View Full Version : Boat Electric's

Dominator
02-02-2003, 10:44 AM
I have been having problems lately with the electric acessories on the boat. I had them rigged up about 12 months ago by an auto elctrician but as they were'nt waterproof (the switch panel that is) I figure the salt water has corroded it. ??? ??? ???

Does anyone know of an auto sparky on the southside that could fix the problem. Maybe even start from scratch again.

Thanks in advance, ;) ;)

Dominator.

Heath
02-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Dominator - What is it exactly that you require ?

Fitting out a boat electrically is pretty much the same as cars, with a few subtle differences.

Things such as not using the chassis or hull as is the case with boats as an earth, use tinned dual insulation wire, solder all joints, coat them in liquid tape & finally put heat shrink over that. Use a dedicated pos & neg bus from the batteries. All exposed metalic parts of connectors etc, should be coated in liquid tape, not ordinary elecrtical tape. Use water proof fuse holders.

You basically have to make the whole system as robust as you can. There are not too many harsher environments than on boats & with a few precautions your electical setup will last you years with little maintenance.

Big_Kev
03-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Dom; John Palermo marine electrics should be able to help you out .
He is at Wakerly and I can find out his number for you if you wish .
You might get lucky and score some fishin tips as well .
Kev .