PDA

View Full Version : Any Cruise Craft owners out there???

Heath
31-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Am taking delivery in approx 4 weeks of a Explorer 600. I am wanting to know if you have a GPS with external arial, how you have mounted it & where?

jaybee
01-02-2003, 11:33 AM
hey heath my bro just fitted a hard top to his boat, he just cut a hole and fitted perspex for his gps to shoot through, no probs.
cheers.

banshee
01-02-2003, 05:20 PM
G'day Heath,I have an explorer 500 eight months old fited with a targa/rocket launcher type cannopy.I mounted my Lowrance external ariel on a multi adjustable ariel base,I placed this on the port side of the hatch about eight inches down from the screen,the hatch has about half an inch clearance when opening.I was worried about the G.P.S. droping out at first, but so far it has locked on fast and has never given me any grief by droping out.There is no better after sales service than what the Nicholls brothers offer,any where !

Heath
01-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks Banshee,

I was hoping to mount the antenna up on the rocket launcher next to the anchor light, but the plate looks too small. I would have thought that they would have made the plate big enough to fit more than just the anchor light. You are right though about Nichols Bros, they have the right attitude towards customer service that is for sure.

Looks like I'll be ringing them to see if they can make that plate double the size so I can mount my antenna up there. I'd prefer to let the antenna have horizon to horizon view.

banshee
01-02-2003, 07:34 PM
G'day again,no doubt about it that is the prime spot for it.One thing though if your launchers fold down and your going to follow the anchor light cable through the frame with the G.P.S. cable, make sure that the hole on the boat side of the hinge is big enough for the cables to slide through unhindered,mine was a little neat and I cut the wires twice(prety dum eh) before I drilled the hole out.

Ron_Collins
01-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi Heath

Have a chat with Bill Corten. As part of his bar crossing and offshore fishing training courses Bill runs multiple sets of electronics on his 625 Outsider.

Because he's often on the water many times a week (apart from when this bloody wind is blowing a gale) he can give you accurate and unbiased comments on what you want. I think at least one of his antennas is on the rocket launcher.

I know he'd be happy for you to pop up to Ormiston one weeked and have a look at his set up if you wanted to do that. Otherwise, give him a call on 07 3286 3647.

Hope that helps a bit. By the way, I live just a couple of ks from Bill, so we could all get together for a little while. Might even invite Kevin, the factory production managing director as he's only a couple of ks away too! Ron.

Heath
02-02-2003, 05:37 AM
Ron,

I might do that. I've got next week off & the weather looks ordinary.

I called Bill when we very first started looking at the Cruise Craft. He was more than helpfull.

I just didn't want to become a pain in the ass. :P

Ron_Collins
02-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi Heath

There is no way you'd be thought of as being a pain in the ass.

All the BNB Fishing crew help each other out when needed and I know for sure that Bill and Kevin would not mind one bit providing some recommendations before it's too late. Keep me posted. I can talk with Bill in the first instance if that helps.

All the best. Ron.

Heath
03-02-2003, 09:09 AM
No worries ;D

I'll give Bill a yell early in the week. I'll let you know, hopefully we can hookup.