PDA

View Full Version : Electrolisys

Lachie1
05-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Bit of a problem here people. ::) On my old mans boat (1996 savage centre console 485) we have a problem with electrolosis. This occurs where steel comes into contact with the aluminium. We rescently ( 18 months ago) got the top of the boat painted again and we put the stainles steel rails back on using lanolene, sickaflex and thin plastic so no steel touches. Just now it has started to come back around the fuel filler point ??? >:( ???.

what would cause this?, How can it be fixed or whatever?
It's not affecting the performance of the boat its just something to figure out.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Regards, Lachie

Volvo
05-02-2003, 01:13 PM
:)Sounds like ya done right to start off with??, though ide be checkin coupla areas .
(1) Wiring, make sure nothing is earted to hull or body of boat anywhere.
(2) ide be removing all screws and small bolts or whatever in stainless and smearin that paste (yellowy,limey coloured stuff which sticks like shite to everything lol)cant remember the name of the stuff but is used for dissimillar metals and helps prevent electrolosis.
(3) check areas of paintwork make sure no paint is slightly lifting and trapping water beneath.
Apart from that ?? someone else may be able ta make some better comments??.
Cheers

clutter
05-02-2003, 02:28 PM
I'd also be looking at pulling up the floor and checking thoroughly for hidden sinkers, swivels, hooks and the like. They can be one of the most destructive things to a tinnie if undetected.

Clutter.

Kerry
05-02-2003, 04:39 PM
:)

.... and smearin that paste (yellowy,limey coloured stuff which sticks like shite to everything lol)cant remember the name of the stuff but is used for dissimillar metals and helps prevent electrolosis.

That stuff is Duralac

Cheers, Kerry.

coasty
05-02-2003, 04:49 PM
if its around the filler check that you arnt dropping fuel on it. it can eat it away with corrosion. especially with the crap you buy these days.

Lachie1
06-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks, we have checked for sinkers swivels etc by pulling up the floor which is a job in itself and nuthin there. We sprayed it with lonolene spray and that sticks like any thing :o and stays on too. Havent fully checked the wiring but we are getting there. Sometimes ya get fuel near the cap but always wipe it up so I'm not sure what sort of affect that has???

Regards, Lachie

Lucky_Phill
10-02-2003, 03:46 PM
I am total aggreence ( if there is a word like that ) with Kerry.

Duralec is a great product. On the big rig we dippped every nut, bolt, screw.....everything that was to touch a different type of metal with this stuff. Not one sign of corrosion 2 years down the track.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. ??? ::) ;D

NQCairns
11-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Hi, just reading a few responses and dont fully understand.
How can any substance stop a any fastener from making solid metal to metal contact somewhere, like a screw or pop rivet would?
If it didn't make full contact it wouldn't be tight enough to do it's job I would guess?
Are there any nylon plugs like for masonry work out ther that can be used for boats. NQCairns