PDA

View Full Version : Dual Frequency Sounders 50/200Hz??

Wesley_Pang
23-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Guys,

I'm in the market for a better sounder.

Whats the advantages of dual-frequency sounders?

I looked up the Lowrance site and they are just about to release a new range into OZ. The X88DF looks good(320x320 pixels).

I only need a sounder to help me locate livebait(yakka, and slimies). My brother-in-law(whom I own the boat with) "bottom-bashes" out of 1770 and Barwon Banks.

Is the 50Hz need to for the depths at the locations mentioned?

Why is the 50Hz cone 35 degree vs 200Hz 12 degrees? Wouldn't a narrower one be better for deep water??

Wes

mackmauler
23-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Wes, the narrower is better for deep water, the banks and off 1770 is shallow by most standards of deep work, using a x75 lowrance i find bait offshore and good fish and reef in 60m no probs, at 90-115, still shows bottom shape ok and combine with proven gps marks i get fish. You'll get more info im sure ;)

Cheers

Heath
23-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I've got a Lowrance X88DF on it's way as I speak from the USA.

They look like sensational units !!!!

If you check the Lowrance website they have an excellent Sonar tutorial that explains everything. It will have th info that you are after.

Wesley_Pang
23-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Heath,

I've had a look at the lowrance site(good info)
http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/X88DF.asp

I didn't know about the new sounders till I read it on another site.

The X88DF looks good. How much?? Couldn't you wait 3 months before its released in OZ??

Why did you chose the X88DF?? Do you use the 50hz much??

My brother George has an X91, and that pretty impressive. But doesn't have the screen resolution and power of the X88DF.

Wes

Heath
24-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Wes,

I could have waited the 3 months, but.... I had arranged for the dealer to fit all electronics and when those units hit OZ they will be at least $1000.00 bucks. I can tell you that direct from the states its costing just a smidge more than half that #:o :o :o

The screen resolution was the main factor & the reason for going dual transducer was simply economical. There was only $50.00 from memory between them, so we went the dual freq transducer

neptune
24-01-2003, 09:58 AM
50 Hz is best for deep water and has a larger cone angle. I think you will find the stand alone 200Hz tranducer for shallow water has a 20 degree cone angle compared to 12 degrees in the dual frequency tranducer

Big_Kev
24-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Heath , your post was a little confusing as to the price of the sounder directly from the states,as to whether it was cheaper or more costly this way .
If you could explain that a little clearer it would be much appreciated .
Also a suggestion for your web site would be to give some driving lessons on sounders , if not already there .
Best regards Reel Hard

mackmauler
24-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Sounded pretty clear to me, just over 500 bucks awesome deal :o

Reel, have you seen the lowrance book, sells at kmart for about 20bucks, a good read.

Cheers
Rob

Heath
24-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Heath , your post was a little confusing as to the price of the sounder directly from the states,as to whether it was cheaper or more costly this way .
If you could explain that a little clearer it would be much appreciated .
Also a suggestion for your web site would be to give some driving lessons on sounders , if not already there .
Best regards Reel Hard

Sorry about that I had one too many "MORE"s in there :D

I fixed it up....

$650.00 to be exact delivered to my door #:o 8)

tonyp
24-01-2003, 05:21 PM
That is a very good price, Whom did you ring to get it. You said them direct. Does this mean the factory and you are mr-jo bloe to them and they will sell it ,or are you from a buisness of some sort.

How can they do it that cheap,the Yanky dollar at moment is pretty good also.

Wesley_Pang
24-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Heath,

For that price I'd get one too.

Can you email me the details of your supplier?

Wes

Bros
24-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Heath I was looking at buying a sounder direct from the USA but when I read the manual on the sounder the warranty was only valid in the country of purchase, how do you get around that problem?

Heath
24-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Geees Tony, now you've confused me :P

Direct from the USA

Heath
24-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Heath I was looking at buying a sounder direct from the USA but when I read the manual on the sounder the warranty was only valid in the country of purchase, how do you get around that problem?

Thats correct. The unit can be back in the USA if need be in a week.

Waiting around don't worry me. My mate with a Garmin 240 Blue has been waiting for 3 weeks for a new sounder to come into the country.

Heath
07-02-2003, 12:30 PM
My Lowrance X88DF arrived today. They certainly look the goods. Now all I need is the new boat!!!

Didn't have to pay any duty or gst on it either 8)

Kerry
09-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Which is best ??? is always interesting reading but that can simply be answered by asking those that use sounders every day (and don;t have stickers on the side of their boat ;D).

It really depends on if it's a serious application or just a recreational requirement.

Cheers, Kerry.

aquarius
09-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Nice looking sounder Heath....im sure you will make good use of it offshore but me i am more than happy with my X51...does the job for me in the bay and estuaries.
Read the manual on your sounder and very impresed with the specifications.
Cheers #Brent :D

Lucky_Phill
10-02-2003, 04:01 PM
with the 50mhz transducer in mode, you'd have to be fishing in 300 meters of water plus.

Seriously, the waters that we fish in, wether 1770, Tempest or elswhere, really only requires a 200mhz trans.

You need the power ( watts ) to back the sounder up. You must also be able to interpret what you see.

For this reason alone, I went for a colour unit some years ago. Sure the LCD's ( black & whites )are fine, and in most ( 95% ) of cases will do the job.

Bush"n"Beach mag has had numerous articles on reading a sounder, and should be followed up.

Lowrance, are of course, one of the better units available on the market, and that X88df sounds alright.

Heath
10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Phill,

Know exactly what your saying.

The difference in price between single freq & dual freq was only about $50.00AU, so we went the whole hog. Plus, with the bigger boat, never know where we may end up ;D

Lucky_Phill
12-02-2003, 12:09 PM
If you intend ending up out 1770 way, be sure to let us know.

I'm sure 2 Big Rigs are better than one ;) ;) 8)