PDA

View Full Version : Pin Hole

Hornet
12-02-2003, 02:57 PM
G'day - need some help
I have detected a pin hole leak in the tramsom of my 4.35 Hornet, which is about nine months old.
The pin hole is located 25cm from the floor, dead centre at the triangle section !
I have a Yammie 40HP power trim & tilt. I have noticed two earth wires attached to the bottom part of the tilt. One wire is stripped and touching the plastis support frame.
Could electrical current pass through the plastic sheeting causing this pin hole. The touching wire appears to be opposite the pin hole

Regards

Peter

blaze
13-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi Peter
I love glass boats. With that said they tell me that all earths should be earthed to a buzz bar in alloy boats, which in turn is insulated from the hull. As good practice I follow that same princable in all my boats when i do any electrical work
cheers
blaze

Ron_Collins
13-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi Peter

Could I suggest that you also let Quintrex know about the leak. Feel free to get back to me if you strike trouble finding anyone to speak with and I'll make a call on your behalf.

The reason I make this suggestion is just in case it could become a compounding problem for other owners - although I have not heard of too many pin hole leaks in factory-fitted boats. All the best for now. Ron Collins.

aussiebasser
14-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi Hornet,
I'd take the boat back to the dealer you bought if from, and ask his advice. You definately shouldn't have a hole in a 9 month old Hornet. If you have no luck with your dealer, as Ron says, contact Quintrex direct as I'm sure they'll want to fix the problem for you.

Luke
15-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Sounds to me like a ground fault. Without going to far I'd say you have bad earth almost definately if you have a pinhole after 9 months. How is your sacrificial anode looking anyway? Another thing to keep in mind is metals of differing consistencies and a conductive fluid being that salt water is a good conductor will give current flow and will in fact create a battery effect. Basically batteries remove metal to keep a flow going(normally and hopefully being zinc) so if you have an external current getting through you will have a problem. Zinc has a higher voltage so current will flow from it more easily than from the parts you are trying to protect(being your sacrificial zinc anode). I'd almost bet it is your stripped wire and you have a stray current looking for some earth and concentrating on the offending spot with the help of a bit of salty water. Maybe I'm wrong-I'd consult the dealer.
Cheers Luke