PDA

View Full Version : Boating advice required!!

white_hunter
17-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey boyz,

I am looking to buy a small fibreglass or aliminium dinghy/rowboat. I was looking for it to be around 6 - 10ft and able to be car topped. I was wondering how much gear and how many people it would hold safely??, if that is they are all around 60-70kg??.
Your advice is very helpful

Regards, Ozza

mackmauler
17-02-2003, 04:01 PM
There is a big difference between 6 and 10 foot, id say 3 in the 10 footer and a tackle box should be close to the limit.

pop
20-02-2003, 02:24 AM
1 have a 10 foot tinnie 2 adoults 1child is max only 2 seats back and middle but can sit on bow my stelle is quiet heavy i would have trouble car topping on my own but have seen rollers ect pop

deb
20-02-2003, 04:21 AM
Hi,
Look for a 'punt' style. 'Squirt' our affectionately named old dehavilland cartopper is 12ft long, it has three floatation seats and safely holds two adults (200kg) a full crab esky (sometimes :)) pots, tackle box and the fox terrier :D
When the pots are out it is extremely stable to fish from including standing, more importantly it is light as feather 8), I can lift it up and push it on the patrols roof when needed, however it has its own trailer, which can take it and all the other holiday gear and that get used the most.
It's powered by a 7.5 evinrude which lets it plane easily when loaded. Whatever you do buy a big enough motor!
These small boats are terrific for crabbing and river, dams holidays, I don't regret Squirts purchase at all, despite having two much bigger boats :) Go for it!