PDA

View Full Version : Motors on Canoes

white_hunter
06-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey fellas,

I was wandering if you could put a small outboard on a 3 - 4m canoe. I know you have to have a flat back but could you buy a normal canoe and cut off the top bit and one end so you had a flat back. Is this possible?

orry

davo
06-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Easy, just get a side bracket made from alumium. If you go electric power you don't need a large motor. I've used the old Mariner T21 on the back of 14ft canoes and the main thing is that the longer shafts on the larger motors and the extra weight on the side can be a pain. I haven't tried petrol power at all on them. Also you will find that the side access to the motor easier to use.

peterbo3
07-03-2003, 04:07 AM
WH,
Ross Cook (Rosco Canoes-Everton Hills) makes canoes & has done for some 30 years. He has a model with a flat transom but he could probably modify an existing rig. He also makes little outriggers for extra stability. These are bolt-ons if my memory is correct.
Regards,
Peter

rick k
07-03-2003, 09:23 PM
I had a mate with a canadian canoe and a 2hp outboard. I think it came from an er, adult shop, er, for giants, it used to vibrate so much.

It went well; he attached it to a 3x2 that went across the gun'ls which had a brace that went forward onto the side of the hull, through bolted to a pad.

The only drama was that the wake used to build up between the motor and the hull, and tried to climb in,if it was run towards full throttle