PDA

View Full Version : Boston Whaler - suitable for Aussie conditions

reelcrazy
08-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Hi All

Anyone heard anything about Boston Whalers in Aussie?

Considering getting a new 19 foot Whaler around March next year, fine for conditions here, but how do they hold up in Aussie conditions?

I checked out their Nantucket 190 recently at the NY Boat Show, impressive boat, well appointed and by all acounts a dry cockpit, if I get it I'll ship it back to Aussie when I return in a couple of years.

Anyone hear of any positives or negatives for Aussie waters?

smerl
11-03-2003, 01:12 PM
G'Day Reelcrazy,

I've got a mad yank mate who has a 21 foot walk around. It's an older one (1991 I think) and I'm not sure of the model but it seems to stand up pretty well. He does a fair bit of bay and offshore stuff with it. He brought it over here when he married and Aussie girl and immigrated. If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to get some feedback from him.

Cheers,

Smerl

Jonli
12-03-2003, 11:53 AM
The newer Boston Whaler hull has evolved from the traditional Whaler hull which resembles tri-hull into deep vee hull .

The best way to judge the performance of a hull is to take the boat for a ride and try all kind of sea conditions . I am sure one wud want to do that before investing that kind of money into a boat .

I wud take a test ride on other brands too , for my money I will try Grady White as comparison to Boston Whaler , both are very reputable boat builders in their own right .

Jonli .

reelcrazy
14-03-2003, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to be doing some testing here before I spend any money.

A friend of mine down the Chesapeake has just ordered an Edgewater 225CC, see website
http://www.ewboats.com/225cc.htm

Interesting company, chief designer is ex Boston Whaler of 30 years, word is that his design while similar to the Whaler is stronger in the construction.

I'm going to check out the 200CC, the specs look better than the Whaler, wonder if there are any agents in Aussie?