PDA

View Full Version : What GPS ???

jonesy2
29-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Looking at buying a Hand Held GPS.
Any suggestions on what to buy ???(or what not to buy)

Will be used in the boat and the 4wd.

Thanks

Jeremy
30-01-2003, 02:59 AM
you don't have to post your questions to multiple forums here to get a reply!

I use a Garmin GPS12 which is about 3 years old now, but I have been happy with it.

Jeremy

krazyfisher
01-02-2003, 05:33 PM
I had a lowrance nav 12 was very happy with it easy to use etc. I was happy with it but I like the bigger screens of the fixed mount

aquarius
03-02-2003, 05:58 AM
Mate the bigger screens are much easyer to read especially out in the boat in choppy conditions.....I have a eagle fixed mount gps....7 years old now and have had no problems using it whatsoever......Its like most things the more they get used the more you learn about how it all works.
If you are going to use it in both 4wd and boat there's not really an option....handheld is for you!!
Cheers Brent

wicked
15-03-2003, 02:05 AM
I have a garmin GPS48 hand held, good little unit made for marine conditions with maps.

Kerry
16-03-2003, 05:09 AM
The GPS48 (although it's not a mapping unit) was discontinued several years ago and effectively replaced by the 76, which does have some mapping capability although mapping in a handheld is a little limited especially on a boat.

Also got to start looking past the GPS12 as things don't go on forever although the 12 is basically on it's third life, it won't see much more as newer technology has effectively made the 12 also obsolete. There are units currently released that are supposedly the 12's replacement.

Still if one can get a 12 "at the right price" and accept that service support will most likely be very limited (next to none eventually) then as a handheld it will still do what handhelds generally do.

Cheers, Kerry.

rick k
17-03-2003, 07:06 PM
have a look at the MLR SP24.

But first, have a look at

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/index.htm

and Aussie explorer which seems to have dropped out of my favourites