PDA

View Full Version : New Boat for the Reeper

Breamreeper
04-04-2003, 04:17 AM
I have finally made up my mind on what the new boat is going to be. Has anyone got any info on a stessl 5.5 Bluewater, 90hp fourstroke honda. What is the general concensus with 2 stroke VS 4 stroke I am getting mixed response.

krazyfisher
04-04-2003, 12:22 PM
one of the blokes from work got a new 5.5 bluewater about 9mths ago the hull has cracked twice now and it is taking time to get it fixed now other than that great boat

Jack_Lives_Here
04-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Wouldn't go back to a 2 stroke if you paid me. LUV IT!!!

Big_Kev
04-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't put a two stroke 90 on if it was given to me.
AS for the larger donks with direct injection I would consider it.
I am now a devoted four stroke fanatic.
Cheers Reel

clutter
04-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Got to agree, once you have a 4-stroke you won't go back.

Clutter

Lucky-Phill
04-04-2003, 05:23 PM
90 HP 4 banger is good.... but could you get away with a 80 Yammie or 70 /75 Yammie / Merc ?

That 90 has more than enough grunt for 5.5 meters of alloy ?

mackmauler
04-04-2003, 05:24 PM
If you have the money to buy a 4 stroke it is money well spent, im nudging 500hrs on my honda, never falted.

Breamreeper
05-04-2003, 05:11 AM
Thanks everyone, I have been swung on the fourstroke but now I am reconsidering the bluewater after the cracked hull comments. If anyone has a reccomendation of boats in that price range I would appreciate the input. To me it is a pretty large investment and I want to make the right decision.

krazyfisher
05-04-2003, 09:36 AM
breamreeper
the other thing with this boat is that the 90hp would be bear minimum for the boat his has a 90hp and he would like more. Have you thought about fibreglass?

Breamreeper
05-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks Krazyfisher, I have always had aluminium so I guess I'm a bit set in my ways. My options are open at the moment I am looking for the right boat that I can get further outside safely. I haven't considered fibreglass but now I will, I have heard a great deal of negatives with alot of the tinnies around at the moment and I don't think they are as good as the old ones. At the moment i have a 4.3 Quintrex fish runner that i have had for years without a problem and whilst it is a great boat it limits my fishing to the closer reefs etc. Now I am fishing a bit wider with mates and enjoying it I'm thinking why not go that way. I will look at fibreglass as well do you have any preffered brands amongst yourself and your mates?

krazyfisher
05-04-2003, 12:32 PM
I am buying a glassy so that the ride might be abit better and quieter I am going for the long boat style so that I can cut down on the HP both making the boat cheaper to buy and to run a mate of mine has just got the southwind 5mtr stealth with 100hp 4stroke yammy on it what a boat deep v dry I love it he got the side console but I would love the centre. I also have to becareful with the wait as I use a company car to tow it I dont want brakes or to heavy on a standard tow point I would think the blue water would be between $24000 and $30000 5mtr south wind $30000 6.7mtr southwind longboaty style with 100hp 4 stroke $29,950 haines tc170 $30,000 540 cyclone $30000 many many opptions but if you want a blue water I think he would sell his ::)

Spaniard_King
05-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Breamreaper.

I to know of a mate with a dodgy 6.00m stessl bluewater.

Have a look at the haines hunter Breeze range of boats, good value for money.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/garry_gemma/

This is mine.

peterbo3
05-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Evening Reeper,
I have a plate C/C but that is only due to a need to be able to launch & retrieve by myself as my wife is just a ramp "onlooker" & I tend to go places that are not F/G bottom friendly..I am resigned to a less than terrific ride if I push the fatstick forward.
One of the best ever F/G hulls was on the Seafarer V-Sea. Built like a brick shithouse!! If you are now considering a F/G hull then a second hand V-Sea might be the go. They have no inherent construction faults & if you are going to put a 90HP 4 Stroke on anyway you may save yourself a bucket of cash to spend on other goodies. V-Seas (17FT) are often advertised for less than $10000 with older motors. Do the sums re the new motor, electronics & trailer rebuild & see what happens. These are one of the best offshore hulls around even though they are a bit long on the tooth. A pre purchase report by a F/G boatbuilder would confirm hull quality. Just a thought if you are wavering re the Stessel purchase.

Wesley_Pang
05-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Have a look at Fisher Boats. I've got a basic 5.5m plate hull center console.

Fisher does a new Maxi series.

Check out their web site
http://www.fisherboats.com.au/

Wes