PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor help?

SteveCan
23-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi all,

I have just come into posession of a Roscoe canoe and a Johnson TH2TS Electric Motor. I was wondering if anyone knows the specifications of the motor as I can't seem to find it on the web. It pushes the canoe along nicely, but I would like to know how much thrust it is rated for most of all.

Thanks
Steve.

davo
23-04-2003, 05:08 PM
I think they were a 32lbs thrust motor.

Jack_Lives_Here
25-04-2003, 11:38 AM
I think davo is on the money there.

SteveCan
25-04-2003, 01:09 PM
That feels about right, i took it into Tallebudgeera creek with the kids today on a fully charged battery. I got about an hour and a half running time in with a fair bit on full throttle to get up into the wind. Mostly trolled a soft plastic about at various speeds. It's a useful, but not powerful little motor and I think it will work well in the canals and estuarys, but I am also hoping to have a go for some Bass in Hinze Dam - I haven't fished for Freshwater species yet. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm19.gif

SteveCan
26-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Another question, :)

I have never run an electric motor before, I have a 2.2 amp charger and my boat batteries which are not huge. I was going to buy a new battery, but can anyone advise on what sort of battery I should be looking for and whether my charger will be up to it?

Cheers
Steve.

mikey
29-04-2003, 05:32 AM
It a great time to fish hinze. There are a few fish arround at the moment.
Battery wise get a deep cycle battery. The size of the battery depends on the boat and motor. I am sure any boat shop will be able to help you in that department.
All electric motors will last 3 ~ 4 times as long if ran at half speed.
I have a 3.7 m boat. 40 pound motor 130 amp deep cycle. I get about 4 ~ 5 hours travelling time.