PDA

View Full Version : attaching a foot?

landy1
07-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Howdy guys and girls
well some investigation this evening revealed why the outboard was running a bit rough and having power loss issues from time to time. Using the process of deduction and years of keeping an old landy on the road i pulled the evinrudes plugs to inspect. Shes a two cylinder 25 hp 2 stroke 1975 vintage and the bottom cylinders spark plug was very oily. Further investigation with a small torch through the plug hole illustrated a very oily looking cylinder head, methinks my rings are cactus. I will be onto Southside Outboard wreckers tomorrow for a quote but in the mean time i also have the top 2/3's of an evinrude 18hp of the same vintage. My question is, is it a simple process to transfer the bottom section of the leg (from just bellow water intake including prop) onto the leg of the 18hp as a stop gap, effort as this donk is supposed to be in much better shape. What is involved in this process if possible? Any words of wisdom from the wise.
cheers
Michael ;D

blaze
07-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi Landy1
Mate you own a landy and ya no any thing is possible as it has to be to keep them old pommie jobs on the track LOL
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
07-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Hey landy 1 you know your engine but have you done a compression check? sometimes running a can of carbon cleaner through it can make all the difference (fixes coke causing sticky rings etc). Does it start from cold easily and run on 2 cyl straight up? Unless it is actually missing on that cylinder I would be very unsure that it is worn rings on a 2 stroke causing your problem - but anything is possible they are oily beasts. An oily plug and dark piston is not nessesarily as bad a thing as in your car, the best way to check a 2stroke plug is to cut the motor off at a constant throttle setting and under load (like on the water)then compare for colour.
Changing the lower leg is a fairly straight forward affair if everything goes right, sometimes seized bolts can break and that will cause headaches, good luck and get a compression test done to give you some idea of where you stand. Get a new water pump impeller kit and install that while the option exists. Good luck Nqcairns

landy1
08-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks Guys
guess the brain hadnt quite engaged last night. of course a 2 stroke is going to have an oily bore, DOH. Anyhow i will take her in for a look at by someone who knows outboards a bit better than me tomorrow and see what the verdict is. I can only hope its just a carbie clean job. According to the previous owner he cant remember when she last had a service so fingers are crossed. if not ill chuck the smaller engine on :-[
cheers
Michael
P.S. does anyone know of a basic outboard maintenance book, maybe outboards for dummies ;D
cheers
michael

Lucky_Phill
08-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Your local library should have the manual for your outboard, and a couple of 20 cent pieces for photocopying will do the trick.

Phill

NQCairns
08-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Mate it's easy sitting at the computer compared to on the job. More times than I care to admit I have pulled the spanners out and attacked something in earnest only to find out that if i took the time for reflection i would have done something completly different, like a new spark plug not a new piston!! Dummie you say - I dont think so, lets compare notes.