PDA

View Full Version : Battery position

Dodgemeister
10-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi all...

Does the positioning of a battery affect it's possible degradation?

By this I mean if a battery is location "fore and aft" would that cause the plates to undergo more stress because they are more stressed due to the boat pitching and slamming than if it was located "side to side"?

I ask because my batteries are "fore and aft" and I go through them every couple of years despite my pampering.

A bloke at work, who races drag cars, swear blind that once he changed the position of his batteries, they last much longer because the plates are less affected by the great acceleration forces he subjects them to.

Thanks - Dodgemeister

Heath
11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
I reckon that is right.

Down the aft is the smoothest ride in a boat. So I reack a battery subjected to hard knocks up front will fag out quicker than on down the back.

Lucky_Phill
13-05-2003, 04:16 PM
There is no question that the batteries should be at the smoothest part of your rig, and that is at the back end ( Aft,,,me hearty )

Also consider a battery with Thicker Plates rather than one with more plates. Speak to a Battery Dealer about this. I did last time ( although folks swear you have to have Marine Batteries, I have always used car, well truck, batteries. ) and my battery is in top nick. The life of the battery depends on a lot of consequences. Pounding, re-charging, load, etc.

Stick them at the back, also allows shorter leads to motor and Isolator Switch, puts weight at the back of the boat, where it is usually needed, and access is usually easier.

That's my view..............as always ;D ;) ??? :P

Cheers Phill

coasty
13-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Correct me if im wrong but i think you are asking about which way the battery faces. length ways pointing forward or sideways. my battery sits sideways at the rear of the boat and its now 7 years old and still going strong .
i can see how a drag car would affect the battery plates with the g forces.

Dodgemeister
14-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. Heath and Lucky Phil - I was'nt talking about having the batteries located anywhere else than in the stern (A case of poor descriptive text on my part) but which way they should face, as Coasty noted.

As my boat is very old, perhaps I could ask those readers who have factory installed batteries whether they're "North/South" or East/West" - This may indicate whether it makes any difference.

Of course, my poor record could be due to other factors, but I spend so much time looking after the damn things my missus is starting to call me "Rain Man" :)

Thanks - Dodgemeister

Spaniard_King
14-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Dodge,

it won't matter which way you mount the batteries, you will only benefit from havin them down the back end of the boat.

Just a piece of info for ya, we have a jump boat at my work (boat goes over a ski like jump). we get around 9 months out of a battery marine grade or even just a HD dosn't seem to matter any.

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Well, in that case, delete my reply.

Argh !!!!!!!!!!!! east west ! then

Due to the Earth's rotation and Polarity effects on Atomic Neutrons in the Lead Plates having a Gyro-gizmo, Lateral Dominence, the Factoring of Radiation and Sulfuric Additives in the Sterilized Water contained within the Battery itself, I believe that the only option is East - West !

But, what would I know ? ;) ;D :P ::)

Phill 8)

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2003, 12:31 PM
And having said that, it probably doesn't matter. But I see your point.

A battery facing East - West will have the water mostly going/ splashing from front to back of boat, and therefore putting less pressure on the plates. Something like Baffles in a fuel tank, where the baffles are designed to stop the slop, the minimal distance between the plates and smallish size of the battery, will mean that a Baffle is not used the same way.

It all goes to a East - West positioning.

Phill ;) ;D ::)

aussiebasser
14-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey Lucky Phil,
I'm no expert when it comes to power, but when my boat is in the shed it is facing south, therefore my 2 Deep Cycles are facing North/South and my cranking battery is East/West. When I'm on my favorite Trolling Run at Somerset, I am trolling due east, which means that my Deep Cycles are now facing East/West and my cranking battery is North/South. Shoud I fit a Gyro, so the the batteries are always pointing in the same direction? If so I will need to increase the size of the battery boxes under the cast deck. Or should I change my trolling run so that I am heading due south? :-/
I'll just crawl back into my hole now. ;D
Cya

coasty
14-05-2003, 05:44 PM
try an energy polariser. i believe brockt has a few left.

spike2
15-05-2003, 01:27 AM
talk about wasted energy if we could bottle this lot of codswobble batteries would go for ever ;D

Lucky_Phill
15-05-2003, 01:11 PM
;D ;D ;D :o ::) :P

MangroveJase
15-05-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm so confused ???