PDA

View Full Version : motor cleaning

grey_inflatable
27-05-2003, 01:54 PM
hi all

is it ok not to flush motor if using next day is it worth buy motor cleaners that flush threw im just think about the water [pump i guess

cheers to all

blaze
27-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Hi grey inflatable
I flush mine for about 15 minutes before it goes back into the shed every time it goes in the salt
cheers
blaze

Volvo
28-05-2003, 01:47 AM
:)Yep im with blaze , at least fifteen minutes whether out the next day or not. Mindya if your away camping and cant get to tap might be different story otherwise "Flush".
As for aditives??, have seen others use em and say they do the job??. Even know a fella who drops some detergent down the hose prior ta stickin it on the tap .
Reckons it does his motor good but ill stick with just plain ole tap water me thinks.

grey_inflatable
28-05-2003, 02:52 PM
i have a mariner 30 hp i think about 95 model all i did was start and run it dry itl it stopped is that even the wright thing to do should i leave the fuel line on
what all is been cleaned by running for so long with the fresh or soap , thanks

cheers

Volvo
28-05-2003, 03:02 PM
:)Different lines of thought as to running your motor with fuel line disconnected till it stops??. Used to do the same with me 70hp Merc till heard it was a no-no n stopped.
Idea of flushing for so long is ta warm up the the motor and build up of salt till it comes away clean. Guess if ya paranoid or fussy as ta keepin your motor in tip-top condition you will do what ya think is right according to advice given ey :).
Cheers

MangroveJase
28-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Not worth taking the chance, I flush for 10 to 15 mins after every outing. Better than finding out the hard way.

MJ

Big_Kev
28-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Grey you will also achieve a more thorough flush of the engines cooling system by carrying out these proceedures in a tank or drum, rather than using earmuffs.
For a small outboard such as your Mariner 30 a plastic garbage bin is popular.
Cheers Kev

Big_Kev
28-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Grey you will also achieve a more thorough flush of the engines cooling system by carrying out these proceedures in a tank or drum, rather than using earmuffs.
For a small outboard such as your Mariner 30 a plastic garbage bin is popular.
Cheers Kev

grey_inflatable
28-05-2003, 04:02 PM
well thanks for that i think my motor will love u guys for it and the neibours will get the shits ow well

the first time i went camping on the western side of frasier was abit worried, about not flushing after each day . good camping if any 1 keen u just go up 1 of the creeks

krazyfisher
28-05-2003, 06:19 PM
just a question if flushing in a drum or bin isn't the salt as well as motor oil and anything else coming out of the motor going into the bin therefore going back into the motor? I don't know but I was told this made sence to me so I use muffs just turn the hose right up so water pours everywhere and keep an eye on it let me know what you think

Big_Kev
29-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Krazy I keep the hose running in the drum so the oil coming out the exhaust of a two stroke will float over the edge.
And the small amount of salt residue in the engine mixed with the water content of the drum, would be insignificant. And probably the salt content in the tap water would be just as high anyway. Unless you are a strong believer in homiopathy(spelling).
Also with a two stroke it will be quieter and not upset the neighbors.
Also you will not have to worry about being distracted, walk away and the muffs fall off and the donk gets kentucky fried.
I have also been told that the water pick up on Yamaha Engines is small and can impact on the volume of water available from the muffs.
Cheers Kev

FLATHEAD1
29-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I flush my 50 honda in a 75 litre garbage bin. I glued a tap fitting over a hole near the base of the bin. Just slip the bin over the leg, drop outbaord down and push the hose onto the tap fitting to fill it up. Can be unpacking all those fish I caught while the bin fills. When the motor is running just throttle the tap back enough to keep the bin full. To empty the bin just disconnect the hose. Too easy.

FLATHEAD1

Big_Kev
30-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Thats the way to do it hey flathead.
Cheers Kev

grey_inflatable
30-05-2003, 04:28 PM
thanks for all that
gave her a good flush today after a joint in the brissy river after work

think i will get a big bin for flushing i think it will be quiter

cheers