PDA

View Full Version : Torque Question - 2st vs 4st

porl
05-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Am looking at small outboards 3hp to 6hp. There is never any mention in specs on torque of these motors, am wondering whether there is any diff between the amount of torque and respective spread of such torque between 2stroke and 4stroke motors. Am very familiar with petrol vs diesel but know nothing of 2stroke motors other than that they mow my grass very effectively, use more fuel than 4st mowers and are nosier. ???

Lachie1
05-06-2003, 01:38 PM
but know nothing of 2stroke motors other than that they mow my grass very effectively, use more fuel than 4st mowers and are nosier. # ???

Forgot 1 thing mate, they smell better! ;D ;D ;) ;) ::)

I don't think that in such a small motor that there would be much difference but if there was i would say that the 2 stroke would have more torque ???

Cheers, Lachie

Lucky_Phill
05-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Torque equates to prop size and pitch. !

Ph Steve Evans at Solas Props. " ( expert )

Phill

Big_Kev
06-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Torque is best described as the twisting force and is measured in Newton Meters (nm).
Power is in relation to the engine speed or RPM.
And is measured in Kilowatts (kw).
Brake Horse Power or Horse Power (hp) is an equation of the two.
If you can visit the service information from a factory workshop manual and look under specifications it may give you the breakdown or if you are reely lucky the dyno graphs.
Generaly a four stroke will have better torque rise, with a two stroke getting better as the rpm increases. Hope this helps
Cheers Kev