PDA

View Full Version : Rods banging around in rocket launchers

rwells9999
10-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I recently had rocket launchers fitted to my bimini top on my centre console, the whole rig is fantastic, but the rods which I rig before I go out, end up in a tangled mess by the time I get to where I'm fishing. Has anyone got a fix.
Robin

mackmauler
10-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Don't put them up there while travelling, there are all sorts of problems that can occur by doing that, best to put them down low ;)
Rob

FLATHEAD1
10-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I fitted vertical rod holders to the front of the centre console. They consist of a pocket to rest the butts in and foam to push the rod into. Holds them nice and firm and up of the floor. They hold six rods.

FLATHEAD1

Rhino
10-06-2003, 03:49 PM
I'm fairly new to owning rocket launchers myself but generally I only place rods in the launchers without rigging. I usually have the rigs sitting in the tackle box ready to go which only takes a few seconds to set up once ready. I always have rods in the launchers whilst travelling and thus far haven't had any problems. (I don't use the launchers whilst towing obviously)

Regards Ryan...

peterbo3
10-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Evening R36,
If you need (or want )to carry rigged rods in the launchers the solution to tangles, bounce & even loss of everything is simple.
Get a length of shock-cord (5mm) & tie a sister clip to each end. The sister clips enable the shock-cord to be quickly joined & you can loop then around the rocket launcher & reel to give you a stable, secure tie-down system.
If you don't know:Shock-cord is nylon coated elastic but the sister clip is way past my literary explanation skills. Ask Glascraft or your local marine supplier.

Heath
10-06-2003, 06:28 PM
It is simply inertia at work. We don't have this problem on our rigs we use for live bait, but anything with a sinker & you are asking for trouble.

bazz
11-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Rob, had the same problem and what I did was use one of those small stretch straps with the stainless hooks put it on the reel and pull it down to the bottom of the rod tube on the rocket launcher.
As for the sinker and hooks, I bought some rod wraps and put one around the sinker and then wrap it around the rod.I then put one around the hook or hooks and then wrap it around the rod the same way,have never has a problem and the rods are always rigged and ready to go.The wraps that I use are the wide ones from Shimano. Hope this helps.