PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME ADVICE

aquarius
01-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi Guys..Just purchased a second hand haines signature 155f (15.5 feet)
Was wondering if this boat would be ok for offshore boating under certain conditions. ???
All comments welcome.
Cheers Brent

mackmauler
01-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Nice boat Brent, im sure the boat would be fine on the days youd want to go, just keep an eye on all the stuff that will bust like cables, batteries,etc, the way I see it is one weak link can be the undoing of any boat.
Rob

Patto
01-06-2003, 07:19 PM
;) Brent so long as you know what the weather is supposed to do, log on with coast guard to let some one know where you are going and expect to return. you should have some good fishing days. common sence cannot be overstated. Nice looking rig as well
Patto.

Big_Kev
01-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Nice looking rig there Brent.What sort of power plant has she got.
Looks very clean from the pic, and Signatures hold the value very well. Bet it didn't come cheap.
I would say she would be up to the task on a good day.
And has plenty of cover to keep you dry coming home if it does turn bad.
If I see you on the water I will come over for a chat and a look see. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Cheers Kev

aquarius
02-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys....she is powered by a 2003 model 90 hp mercury....the boat is 1990 but in good condition.
Yes Kev it wasn't cheap but like you said they hold there value and it will be nice for a change to have some protection from mother nature(cold nights)
Hard to find signature boats at a reasonable price.
On a good day i would like to take her offshore but after seeing those pics Rob(mackmauler) put up last week of that big swell im going to be pretty choosy as to what sort of sea conditions i venture out in...lol
Cheers Brent

jaybee
02-06-2003, 01:22 PM
top hull well powered i will put my hand up for an offshore trip ;D been out in one on many occasions.
cheers

Big_Kev
02-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Brent I think that the crossing of the bar is what can be the scary part. If you have an experienced hand on board like Rob Mackmauler he will steer you right.
And on a good day it is easy in a boat like you have as long as you use the grey matter, and Patto's advice is very good indeed.
Post some more pics of the rig she looks like a bewdy.
Cheers Kev.

aquarius
02-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Kevs request..more pics

aquarius
02-06-2003, 03:32 PM
another pic

aquarius
02-06-2003, 03:34 PM
and inside the cabin

Big_Kev
03-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Brent very clean looking indeed.
Some advice that I may give you from when I had my Signature is that the anchor light gets in the road and the light given off when traveling at night reflects on the screen. It is best to get another light and mount it on the canopy, up there it is good for safety leaving it on when traveling as a faster boat will be on top of you before seeing you. Also the light is better for fishing and not in your eyes. A piece of alluminium covered the hole and looked good.
At the front I removed the little infill thing and a 93ltr downunder esky fits here a treat getting it off the back floor(and is a great footrest when driving). I had a piece of 19mm ply to cover the hole for sleeping.
Nice boat Kev.

adriancorrea
03-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Very nice Brent :o :o
You wont know yourself out there in the bay and youll be easier to spot lol ;D ;)

See you in the bay
Adrian

argonautical
03-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Brent

Looking good. I had a Signature 530F (ie 5.3 mts) a couple of boats ago. Only went outside in it once, which is more a reflection of my bar crossing abilty than the 530F. Like anything of that size, when the bay chops up it was a bit uncomfortable - but not unsafe.

I had the guys at Signature make up the infill and matching cushion for the bottom end of the vee-berth. This made sleeping for two people a lot better. The existing bunks were just a bit too narrow as they were, but the infill meant that there was plenty of shoulder room.

Had the boat about two years and sold it for what I paid for it, so I agree that they hold their value.

Have fun
Phil

adamleah
09-06-2003, 01:32 PM
The only Problem I have encountered with my Signature 1750L is that the driving position when standing is not centered due to the lower deck height betweeen the seats. I have found that I am driving around one legged because my left leg is sposed to be where there is no deck..
I am in the process of making a storage space with this lower area ...

Are you going to use the storage areas in the rear as live bait tanks???
I am thinking of doing this with mine but have not done so as of yet.

I am also having trouble with where I can put rod holders.. i was thinking of getting a bait board made up to fit in the well and put rod holders on that but I havent the money for that sort of idea...

Anyway good choice in hulls and see you on the water

Regards adam

aquarius
09-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Hi Adam...Will be taking the rig out tomorrow for the first time so can't comment as yet on the steering position.
The previous owner has installed a live bait tank on the rear right hatch and the left hatch has been insulated to be used as an esky.
I have set up a baitboard on the transom using a plastic rod holder and the burmuda cutting board just slots into the holder no problem at all.. need to remember to remove before trimming the motor right up!!
The 2 only rod holders are on the outside of boat so to speak....you are right there should be at least a couple more.
I will post a report on how the haines performs in the 20 knot predicted conditions tomorrow.
Cheers # Brent

aido
09-06-2003, 04:24 PM
nice clean setup brent,
my mate used to have a haines 470f (similar size) with a 70hp mercury
if i recall. his rig handled seas better than my savage lancer 530 with a 90hp
yamaha. what he didn't like was the rock and roll at rest, but stability at rest
was the tinnies forte.
he used to way exceed my top speed which was about 35 kts at full stink.

i suggest a few proving runs around the bay before heading outside.
new boat can equal unforseen problems.

i'm finding a few surprises on my new/old boat, bilge pump was dodgey,
fuel tanks require replacement and the other a repair. make sure your
battery/s are fine and practice a rope start before heading out. like the
other guys say, watch your weather, but your boat looks plenty seaworthy.

adamleah
11-06-2003, 02:38 PM
I saw your new rig run past us down the pin yesterday arvo through the W's ... Very Nice.!!!!!!

Wasnt as rough as I thought it would be however wind temperature was below freezing ... I ended up with wind burn all over my face.

By the way...
How did the previous owner insulate the back compartment ?

Adam

aquarius
11-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Adam....The hatch is insulated on only 3 areas...the lid and 2 sides....where it is double skinned fibreglass no insulation.....all they did was glue that white esky foam insulation stuff to the inside.....have not tried it yet but it should work well....there's a small hole in the bottom corner to let the water drip out as the ice melts.
The live bait tank works by pouring in a bucket of salt water and a bilge pump recirculates the water around. might alter this by using a second pump to get fresh saltwater flowing through...next time you see me out on the water flag me down...would like to compare boat ideas etc.
Cheers Brent