PDA

View Full Version : Silverline Boats

drevil
11-06-2003, 03:35 AM
Has anyone heard of Silverline boats? I am looking at buying one and was wondering if anyone knows what they were like.

The one I'm looking at is a 17 foot 'glass hull about 20 years old, and looks very similar to hulls by Haines Hunter around the same time.

It looks in pretty good condition, but my main worry is that the motor is original. It's a 80 Merc, and the dealer is just finishing giving it a complete overhaul including a new powerhead, etc.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated. :)

SteveCan
11-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Check out http://www.silverlineboats.com/

Looks like an American make? Unfortunately for you the company who made Silverline before 1996 is long gone.

I am driving a 30 year old 16ft fibre boat - with original motor. It works good and I don't stress. I just keep the services up to it and stay within the limitations I have set.

Cheers
Steve

drevil
11-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Where abouts do you take it, Steve?

I want to head over to Moreton & parts in between. What size is the original motor?

SteveCan
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Hey Dr.

I have taken it to Moreton for a three day trip. the Boat is a Sportsmancraft Contessa V169 ruanbout with a 70HP Evinrude (manual tilt ;)) I spend most of my time outside on the inshore reefs off Palm beach, have occasionally gone out as far as the Nine Mile reef off Tweed.

what gave me confidence in the boat initially was that I appear to be the third owner (the last guy had it for ten years) and that the rig was in top original condition both inside and out, including the white vinyl canopy and see through sides. I had the motor checked out to be mechanically sound and in two years has had one problem - I had to replace the gearbox :'( Apart from that she has always started first go, I have all the correct safety gear and use the radio and am a member of the VMR. I am not saying that I woudn't like a new 18 ft Haines Signature with a 150 4stroke Honda or something ::) - but who has the cash?

At the end of the day I understand the limitations of my rig - but i also have a lot of confidence in it as well. It's doing the job for me!

Cheers
Steve.

drevil
12-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Steve.