PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering

T-REX
02-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Have followed the postings on this site for a while and the advice given seems to be of a high standard. Well the inevitable has happened and I am after your advice. The steering cable on my 1989 5.5m sportfish 120hp evinrude has finally siezed up and I am looking at replacing it. The cost of cable is around $250 and hydraulic is $700-1000 for Hydrive & Sea star units.
I would appreciate your opinions on both systems as well as front & side mount systrems. I live 3 hours from the salt ( Bribie Island) and the rig is used about 3 times a year. All advice appreciated. Thanks ???

peterbo3
02-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Evening T-Rex,
I own a 5.3M Lightning C/C fitted with a 75HP Mariner & Hydrive "Skipper Sports" steering. This is a side mount system & the boat was custom built to enable it to be fitted. The motor is transom mounted & this has required the motor well to be wider on the stbd side than port to allow the ram to fitted. If your motor is pod mounted this this will not be a problem for you.
Hydraulic steering is terrific. No feedback, easy turns & the motor does not wander on a straight course.
These units are easy to bleed & are virtually maintenance free apart from an oil change every two years which you can do yourself.
Suggest that you get your unit installed by an expert. This will ensure it is done right. Hydrive are in SA & should be able to give you a name in your area.
I have had nothing to do with the Seastar unit or the front mount so I cannot comment.

T-REX
02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the advice Peter, will probably go with the HyDrive side mount as it's a bit cheaper and sounds like it will do the job and I am getting a bit tired of the sore arm after a weekend on the water.
Thanks
Dave

Kerry
03-06-2003, 05:09 AM
So does it actually need to be replaced or has it simply froze due to lack of use and/or maintenance? Being used 3 times a year probably sounds like it.

One of the worst things that can be done to cable steering is to actually grease the thing [smiley=thumbsdown.gif].

Which ever way you go, first off your going to have to extract the steering rod from the outboard (that most likely where it's siezed) and then you'll probably find there may (might) not be anything actually wrong with the cable itself.

Cheers, Kerry.

T-REX
03-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Food for thought, the steering is not totaly siezed and the rod appears to be fine. The rig is well maintained on a regular basis and the cable has never been greased, have disconnected the cable from the rod and it slides like a dream.
Have you any thoughts as to which hydraulic steering system is the better. Front mount or side mount.
Thanks Dave

Kerry
03-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Is the rod a dream or the cable? The cable should be fine it's the rod thru the tilt tube that sticks.

As for Hydraulic, bullhorns in general don't impress me much as the lines have to move as well. There's some neat front mount rams but doubt if they are made here.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
03-06-2003, 04:24 PM
On the Big Rig , we went for the front mount as others have had problems with people getting on the boat from the starboard side actually stepping onto the steering piston and bending them.

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but !

Phill

predator
03-06-2003, 05:07 PM
when the rod is out off the motor, can you move the motor easily by hand?

If not maybe the grease has gone hard in the pivot tube...(thats the part where the motor pivots on.. ;D #;D)

or maybe a bend is too tight in the cable?

T-REX
04-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Kerry, the rod is fine, steering stiff when cable disc.from the rod.
Phil, will keep that in mind when I make the final decision.
Predator, pivot tube fine as motor swings in the breeze. Tools out this weekend, the lot comes off to find the answer.
Thankyou gentleman for your ideas and assistance.
Dave

rwells9999
05-06-2003, 04:43 PM
I fitted a Hydrive (bullhorn) a year ago, the best thing I ever did. I also fitted a knob to the steering wheel, the type that goes on forklifts. The number of turns is 5 so with one of these inexpensive knobs fitted you can spin the boat around very easly. My hydraulics hoses only move a inch or so, no problem.
Robin

T-REX
08-06-2003, 03:08 PM
The verdict is in, the cable was rusted for about 600mm from the rod and the grease surrounding it was also hard. Also the three 90 degree turns the cable took from the coaming to exit at the transom wouldn't have helped. Will be fitting new Hydrive unit as soon as I can.
Thankyou gentlemen for your replies and interest. ;D ;D ;)

aido
12-06-2003, 06:15 PM
could someone tell me what the correct oil level is for a hydrive
admiral series2 bullhorn system? there's a fill port on top of the steering
boss/pump, i can't see any oil in there??? can mil5606 oil (red mineral oil) be added? system is working great now, just wondering if it needs servicing.