PDA

View Full Version : 4 Stroke Recommendations?

PJ
09-06-2003, 07:34 PM
G'day everyone,
I've been looking at getting a 50 or 60hp 4 stroke for my 4.8m aluminium centre console. The average load will be 2 blokes and all the normal fishing gear and kit. I'd appreciate any recommendations as to what brand you think is best and why, or are they all much the same and should I just buy on price?

Also, why is the Honda 50hp so much lighter than all the others? The Yamaha dealer recommends the 60hp over the 50hp as there is only a 6kg weight difference. Is there something else here I should be looking at?

Cheers
PJ

Big_Kev
10-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Being a 60hp Yammie owner I can vouch for them.
At the time I purchased it was cheaper than the other major brands I believe for two reasons.
It is carby and not fuel injection which did not worry me.
The 60 is the same block as the 50 with larger bore size, where as the Merc and others were 60/70.
(the 60yamaha is only a bit more $ than the 50)
Suzuki and Honda didn't import the 60 version but one could be ordered.
Having a larger cubic displacement than the Yamaha and being fuel injected the Mercury 60hp,4st may deliver more torque,
Yamaha 60hp,4st=44.1kw@5500rpm. A Merc owner may answer this.
Yamaha have a good dealer network.
I have been contacted twice in 6 months by Yamaha to ensure I am satisfied with their product the dealer and the performance of the engine.
My 60 has not missed a beat.It seems to run best on Bp ultima.
It powers a boat slightly smaller than your 4.8 c/c and has more than enough performance to meet the application, while delivering great fuel economy.
I do not work for Yamaha or any dealer and recomend the Yamaha 60hp 4st.
I hope this helps you to decide.
Cheers Kev

charleville
10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
I have a 60HP 4 stroke carburetted Mercury new at January last year.

i bought the Mercury because the dealer who gave me the best deal on the boat package was a Mercury dealer. I was intending to get a Yamaha previously.

When I did my research, I found that the basic engine under the Merc canopy and leg was a Yamaha anyway. i subsequently found that a lot of rebadging or usage of other manufacturers components happens in the marine engine business. So really the only differentiator that I could find was the warranty of which the Merc has the best by far.

The 60hp Merc is powering a 4.75m Quintrex Coastrunner runabout on which i have hydraulic steering. It has plenty of power for me and indeed was the largest fourstroke that i could put on the boat under the transom weight spec. I have 110 hours up on the motor and it has not missed a beat - nor would I expect any motor to be giving problems at such a young age anyway.

i had the choice of an EFI version at the time of purchase but as that was an extra $1200 plus I am not sure whether the mechanics expertise in EFI is up to scratch all across the country in places where I might take the boat, i chose to stay with the old fashioned, well understood technology. No regrets there yet either.

The motor runs very quietly and extremely economically. I have had it up to 6000 rpm but usually run it at 4000 rpm or thereabouts and it just purrs along.

In all of the advice that i ever read on motors in these websites, the salient issue is really just to go with the brand of motor that your local dealer supports. As i say, the Merc has the best warranty but of course that will never bother you if the donk does not break down in the first three years.

The merc 40HP, 50HP and 60Hp were all the same basic motor as shown by the engine capacity. I understand that this situation happens with all manufacturers and the difference in power is managed by detuning the donk in some way - eg by slowing fuel movement in the carby with vanes etc.

PJ
10-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks Kev and Charlie for your thoughts - experience counts.

I'm leaning towards the Yamaha 60hp over the others - I've never heard a bad word about them. Also I'll be moving to the NT at years end and I know Yamaha have a good support network up north. I lived in Nth Queensland for ten years and it seemed that every second motor was a Yammy.

Cheers Pete

BurdekinBob
12-06-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm with Kev on this one. My 18 month old Yammy has about 190 hours on it, and is great, both quiet and very economical.
My local dealer has just sold a boat with the same hull as mine, (475 Millenium), and is fitting a high thrust 60 on it. Different gearbox and bigger propellor than mine, and he thinks it will pick up a bigger load. Time will tell.
He also told me that Yamaha are bringing out a lightweight 70-75, (not sure which), and it will be released at the Brisbane boat show. He says that it will come in under the 140kg limit that the 475 has on it.
Bob

devilfish
16-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Does anyone have any info on Suzuki 4 strokes, in particular the 50hp model.

davo
17-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Both myself and my father run 60HP 4 stroke Yammies on plate boats and they just keep impressing us. I've got a Fisher 4.8m and I went back to the boat builder for a few additions, he said that out of all the smaller boats he built 90% had the Yammies on and no-one had any problems with them. I've done 85hrs since November and I love it.

nofrills
17-06-2003, 05:43 PM
mate
ive put 180hrs on my 100 yammie since nov and am very happy.had one problem with a squeeky bush in the drive shaft. the rep came out had a listen and said "Sorry sir we will fix that straight away". GOTTA BE HAPPY WITH THAT! ;D