PDA

View Full Version : price of minn kota for 13 ft tinnie

michael_Brewer
18-06-2003, 10:09 PM
hey there,
can anyone give me an idea of the price of a Minn kota. I'm looking for something for my 13 ft tinnie mainly just for cruising in close to the mangroves.
thanks
mic

ferralflyer
19-06-2003, 09:29 AM
HI Mic, mate bought a 55pound salt/autopilot bow mount for around $1600 last week,no autopilot is cheaper and tiller steer from around $500 to $1000. something to think about is tide ?.The more thrust you can buy the better,a battery lasts longer with a maximizer to, but not all minikotas have them.Last of all shop around.best of luck [smiley=devilish.gif]

michael_Brewer
19-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks feralflyer. the other thing I wanted to know is are they very corrosion resistant. I'm very cautious with my gear and everything get's washed with a fine tooth comb before I worry about jumpin in the shower myself. Are they ok with a good wash after usage. I'd like to hear from some others who have electrics too.
thanks for your help.
mic

staggy
19-06-2003, 05:06 PM
G-day Mic,
I ran a freshwater Minn Kota for around 6 years in the salt on my tinny with no problems at all. I made sure I washed it properly after each use. I fished most weekends so it had a lot of use. My old man has it now so it spends more time collecting dust then sneaking around mangroves. I think one of the main advantages of a salt water model is the ecectronics are sealed better to help avoid corrosion but with a little TLC a fresh water model will do the same job for less cash.

Staggy.

landy1
19-06-2003, 09:45 PM
As dodgy as it sounds ive got a fresh water 28lb minn kota stuck on the bow of my tinny :-X. its had no probs in the salt yet but definately give it a damn good clean out. No warranty of course with salt water use though. depends on hull shape, the motor ive got pulls the edgetracker along at a fair clip on WOT but i imagine this would drain the battery pretty fast, i generaly only use it for sneaking around. It cost me about $290 plus $120 for battery and $50 for charger.
cheers
Michael

afro
20-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Mic,
I have both a bow mount and stern mount minn kota 55lb thrust motors. Only take the sternmount on electric only dams. My advice get the highest thrust model you can afford. The bow mount is the superior motor by far the fact that it pulls the boat makes it much easier to controll and not having to constantly be steering with your hands is a real bonus.

A good electric will give you hours of fishing pleasure, good luck.

Cheers, Justin.

michael_Brewer
20-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Excellent, thanks for the replies. well it's sounds like a good investment. I'll defineatly put my head down to work one off. thanks for the help. I think I might aim at something like landy1's. 28 pd thrust or something. thank's again fellas, and I hope I'll get to meet some of you sometime on a ausfish trip.
mic
p.s here's my boat