PDA

View Full Version : Bow mount motors/sounders fitting

macca
25-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I am currently getting a boat fitted out at a dealer.

The bow mount has been fitted as usual but I have request my sounder to be mount at the bow of the boat as well.

The transducer is attached to the bow mount motor and the cables are run back to the sounder which is mounted near the bow. There is a mess of cables especially with the transducer cable being so long.

Has any one have pictures of their boats where this has been done or suggestions how this mess can be cleaned up.

How much excess cable do you need to enable the bow mount to be rotated into place.

Help

Macca

I just wan't idea's to go back to the dealer with. In the end I will not hand over the money until I'm happy with the fitting.

aussiebasser
26-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi Macca,
There is not much you can do with the excess cables. Mine tend to flop around when the motor is not in use. If you are fitting a Motor Guide, the motor cannot turn around more than once, however a Minn Kota can keep turning around and wrap your transducer leads around the motor shaft. You need a bit of slack, but not enough to allow the lead to contact the prop. I'm beginning to think that I will move my tranducer to the transom. The other hassle I have, is when I'm swapping the motor onto my punt, I have to disconnect the sounder and remove the plug (A Humminbird) which is a pain in the butt. The only way around it is to buy an extension lead for the transducer, and try ot hide all the wires somewhere, but still have access to unplug it. Good luck.