PDA

View Full Version : Spare Fuel Storage Fumes.

CamH
04-07-2003, 10:01 AM
I have 2 X 20L fuel containers that I use as emergency backup fuel. The problem I have is that when I store them under the drivers seat box the fumes stink up all the other gear I have in there (life jackets etc). My boat is plate alluminium with a sealed deck so there is no under floor storage space and the only other storage box I have is one in front of the console which is not high enough for them to stand upright and I use this to store my tackle box. The containers are tightly sealed and do not leak but it is not a pleasant smell.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what else I might be able to do and what other options I might consider. Thanks.

peterbo3
04-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Cam,
I have a plate alloy also. I had a frame built for my esky in front of the c/c & put my two 25l tanks under it. They are out in the open so no fumes. You should be able to get your forward storage box "legged" for no more than $100

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-07-2003, 12:21 PM
i've gotta side console carry one 20l as back up. It stands upright strapped to the side of the console with 2 webbing straps with quick release plastic buckles. I doesn't move, was a cheap & easy to use solution.

chris

Kerry
04-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Fumes from fuel containers would suggest the containers aren't suitable for the job. If there's fumes then they simply can't be sealed, fumes won't escape from properly sealed fuel containers.

Cheers, Kerry.