PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and boating

NQCairns
04-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi all, My dog (1st boating trip for her)while I was busy at the CC playing with the GPS and sounder was busy on the rear ply and was also fairly proud of her self judging by the circling, sniffing and tail waging. Does anyone out there have a dog that was automaticly boat trained like an extension of house training or in the car? If I go crook at her for dumping she does a nervous piddle so she has me bluffed. I really dont want to deal with that while fishing yet I still want to take the dog along. How long does your dog last in the boat. Nq

casey
04-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Nq

i have a great dane that loves going in the boat, she has loved it from the 1st time i took her.
i didn't have to train her, i just told her where to sit etc. the nervous piss will pass, i gather it is a pup, and most pups do the same thing, unless its just a full on dog (excited) then they will probly never change, lol..

as far as for how long, my dog will stay in the boat and soak the rays all day, unless there is a rabit or lizard on the bank, then she may deside that she wants a part of it, and swim a 100mtr dash while giving micheal klim a run for his money, lol..
most dogs will like it cause they are with the master, but if there really scared of the water then i think they will take a while to get use to it. anyway have fun.

catch ya
casey h

clutter
04-07-2003, 03:18 PM
My old Pooch (now departed) used to come with me in my old tinnie all the time. The only bad habit he had was jumping out after Fiddler Crabs. Its a real prick of a thing trying to lift a fat arsed 40kg Labrador back into the boat when you are in mud up past your you know whats. You do develop a bit of a knack after 20 times or so though.

Cheers, Clutter

Jack_Lives_Here
05-07-2003, 06:55 AM
My cattle / bully bitch just LUVS the boat. At full noise she's up the front with the wind in the face. I took her from an early age and did regular off loads onto land for her to wiss etc. They get the message real quick. Just be patient with her.

Had a couple of pissed yobbos wanted to start something one day - thought I was lifting their pots. I told 'em not to come too close because she bites - she was all hackled up and gunna go them. They thought twice about it for sure.

NQCairns
05-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will see how she goes next trip (tomorrow) she is only about 9m old so she has some growing up to do. Will see if she does better than 1 hour and I will be prepared with more than just my T shirt this time.
Casey, Great dane!! I think she would have me sunk first trip out in my boat, did she ever wear sunglasses and steer while you were trolling ;D

Clutter, Up here FNQ the sight of her going overboard would horrify me and her probably, will have to keep an eye on it just in case, she is a jack russel cross, so not so much of a water baby as your late lab I guess. Bet she went overboard partly for all the attention she got getting back in :D
Dogs are just the best mates, thanks. Nq

NQCairns
05-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Hi Jack thanks for that,Just had to laugh at the thought of those guys in a 12 foot tinny with a pissed off cattle dog if it got any further, how smart is she!. My last dog could read between the lines like yours, rest her sole. Nq