PDA

View Full Version : under floor flotation

bradenmacgregor
19-05-2003, 03:34 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 4.25 H.D. Edgetracker without the seats so i could customise it to my liking.
But I haven't got a clue about the underfloor flotaion. what is it, where abouts is it supposed to be positioned, and what sort of $$$ am I up for.
Is it Easy to fit if not, could you recommend someone to do it for me, I live on the Gold Coast.

Thanks Braden

coasty
19-05-2003, 05:11 PM
its just blocks of foam stuffed under the floor.
also in the alloy of the seats

bradenmacgregor
21-05-2003, 03:58 PM
oh ok, but does it have to positioned a certain way

Heath
21-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Braden,

The foam is put under the floor where ever it will fit. There is no certain way that it has to be put in. ;)

Spaniard_King
21-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Braden,

I have just been through this excesise with a marine serveyor :o

What do you want the foam in the boat for???? Is it for servey purposes or to make the boat unsinkable.

For a start there are several grades of foam and they are graded as to tha amount of bouyancy per cubic meter and you would need a naval architect to tell you how much foam you will need and where it needs to go to make your boat unsinkable.

If the boat is going under servey the foam needs to be coated in a fire retardent resin to keep the foam together and for the other obvious reason ::)

The foam also has to be secured in a way that it cannot be damaged and cannot come adrift if the boat is capsized :o :o :o

I tell ya it aint easy puttin a cubic meter of foam into a 21ft ski boat >:(

stilltryin
26-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Yea, Spaniard King is right, the right type of foam is required depending on the use of the boat. I tried it and finally went to the manufacturer and they provided me with the specs for a number of different aplications and I sourced the foam after that from a private supplier.

I finally went to survey standard, the cost wasn't that much more, but experience has shown it to be worth it

regards

Stilltryin

brumbs
15-07-2003, 05:38 AM
braden,
hi i have set up a marine modification factory on the gold coast i can help you in bouyancy in your boat and and any other questions you may have ''obligation free'' for a free quote please give me a call. 55293334
kind regards tony