PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tanks

Jonno
05-05-2003, 12:48 PM
I recentlly purchased a seajay 5.35 metre with a 115 yamaha 2 stroke and i have a 120litre fuel tank. 120 litres sounds a lot but when your out around the top of moreton you don't what to run out hehheheheh ;D
What are my options to get another 60 - 80 litres on board. Who can i call about the modification. If i add a second tank , how does it get plumed into the first
If you have any idea's give me a post
Jonno

Kerry
05-05-2003, 01:24 PM
As a reserve then it's a lot easier simply to throw in 1 or 2 portable tanks, makes things a lot easier all round.

Cheers, Kerry.

Big_Kev
05-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Mate 120litres for a days out is not enough???
You must be pedaling it a bit hard.
But as Kerry has said one or two portables chucked in and hidden in the nether regions of the boat are what you may require.
But seriously I would be looking at your own habits of driving or even spending the money to go for a more fuel efficient solution to the problem.
Happy boating but not this week end Kev.

webby
05-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi Jonno, Mate you have ample fuel for your 115, you could do 3 laps around the bay with that. Why go to more expense and unneccessary weight.
Just carry 2 x 20 if travelling greater distances, i've only got 100 under floor for my 130yam and have never had probs, just carry extra 50 if offshore.
What you need to do is spend a day cruisin with a few stop starts then work out what fuel/klm calculation.
Depends on how your trimming your motor too.
Plus the rougher conditions you'll use more.
Plus make Fred leave his deckchair and homely goods at home.
regards

skippa
06-05-2003, 03:30 AM
G'Day Jonno,

As previously suggested if you really have to have more fuel on board, go for a couple of portables, much cheaper alterative and they are always available on the secondhand market, just check out the papers.

As a comparision, some calulations over several trips/conditions on my rig, 17ft Haines 115 Yamaha 2 stroke, showed she was averaging 1mile per litre. To be honest I don't know whether this is good or not, but that's what I'm getting. I have a 90 lt tank and never have any problems in the bay.

Cheers,
Skip 8)

Jonno
06-05-2003, 07:36 AM
Thx's guys, next time i'm out, i'll start some fuel calculations.
Webby your right about touchy he nearly brings the kitchen sink when he comes heheh ;D
It's good to get some feed back from other people thx again
Jonno

brumbs
15-07-2003, 05:47 AM
jonno,
these guys are right in saying portable tanks are cheaper there is no doubt about that,but if room in your boat is resricted then a secondary tank can be made and positioned underfloor it can be plumbed into your other tank or can run separate
if i can be of any help please contact me.
brum.b's marine modifications