PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic wanted

rwells9999
12-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know a mechanic or company that can do a 150 hour service on my Yamaha 70 hp 2 stroke. I called one of the Yamaha agents on the southside today to equire as to the cost of a service. $230 + parts, thats a bit rich.Some contact names would be appreciated.
Robin

predator
12-07-2003, 03:58 PM
try Tony who used to be the mechanic at Bob Burns....
he does mobile services at better rates than that !!

mob 042 233 0846
ph 38221136

peterbo3
12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Evening Rwells, That sounds way over the top. Ring 'em back, ask 'em exactly what they are going to do. All that is possible is compression check, gearbox oil, impeller, new plugs, static run in tank plus visual inspection to make sure everything is still there. Anything else you can do yourself. Tell 'em you won't pay that much! Break the cycle of overcharging!

Be a STAR!!!

Tell us how you go!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

clutter
12-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Just had my 40 4 stroke serviced (100 hour) at Extreme Marine. $180. Seems to be a pretty thorough job. Service was prompt as well. Ring Wayne on 38082222 or 0405405042. They're at Springwood on the service road just before the Shell servo.

Cheers, Clutter.

mrswb
14-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Does anyone think about the overheads of the larger dealers?? I am in business myself and know that there are smaller companies who can do similar jobs cheaper, however, if somethings goes wrong, the big dealers are able to fix immediately. And more to the point, who wants a backyard job done on there boat anyway??? There is a saying "You get what you pay for...!!!" Can the mobile mechanic offer you a range of accessories, bait, tackle, new boats and engines to look at????? No one thinks of the costs involved to run a dealership...I am not a dealer just a person who can relate to the issues of everyone wanting to shop on price rather than service!

aido
14-07-2003, 02:37 PM
check the manual if your doing it yourself. definately get one if
doing the backyard job yourself. peterbo's list is good to go,
"compression check, gearbox oil, impeller, new plugs... " i like to
do these myself, and add in a fuel filter change as well. don't forget the
essential leg greasing and general lube/anti-corrosion treatment.
none of these jobs should be beyond a competent home handy man.
most boatie types i know have more than a clue what to do, and some
enjoyment doing it too.
i know bodgie jobs go in even the best workshop environment. heard a beauty
about how a suzi dealer caused the catastrophic second failure of my engine.
talking to the dealers anyhow when getting parts, a popular brisbane yamaha service centre tells me if the water pump telltale is strong, don't bother changing the pump??? sheesh, and he sells the parts at exhorbinent? prices.
ah, think i'll have a pump kit anyway thanks.
always take the engine serial number with you also, helps when getting parts
correct and nothing worse than getting halfway through a job then realising
you got the wrong bit, lol.
4 strokes may be a different line of thought though, and wondering if maybe
it is getting beyond the home handyman just like cars have become in their
own way.

webby
14-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Try Southside wreckers at Bethania, they service my 130 since coming out of warrenty and had no trubs, plus there charges are very reasonable.
regards

blaze
14-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Hi mrswb
Mechanic by trade, now run my own business. Worked for large dealership in my career and I think the sevice off a smaller operator can give a more personalized service, treat them well (pay on time) and most will bend over backards for ya. With some larger service centers you pay for more time than spent time. I gotta stop this post other wise it will end up a book, find a dealer large or small that understand your requirements and stick with them
small, small,
cheers
blaze

clutter
14-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Agree with Webby, the boys at Southside are excellent. The only reason I went elsewhere is that they weren't set up to service my 4 stroke.

Clutter

Heath
14-07-2003, 06:42 PM
If anyone is after parts for their outboard give Victory Parts 0754853433 on the sunshine coast a call. They sell parts for most outboards at a fraction of the cost of dealers. Used their parts when we had to rebuild our 70hp Yamaha last year. :'(

lordy
15-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Can anyone tell me why services are so expensive? I can get a major service on my car for $150, and there is a lot more to a car than an outboard? Any ideas?

aido
15-07-2003, 06:11 PM
here's the suggested 100 hourly check for my old
motor, yamaha 200. think the 90 was almost identical.
if they are doing all of the check, carbies and oil metering
pump, checking the water pump impeller (lol),including parts
and consumeables. then i'd say sitting would be best when the bill comes.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dessaix/100hr.jpg