PDA

View Full Version : Trailer mods help

jamesmcjim
20-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi all I need some advise .I am going to convert my trailer from skids to rollers. The boat is 16ft fiberglass cuddy cab.
how many rollers down each side? I will be using double rollers. how close to transom 1st one ect?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jim

Big_Kev
20-07-2003, 03:34 PM
You will need a set of double rocker boggie set up at the rear to help when pulling her on and support the weight of the motor. Another two sets of single rockers along the length at the trailer cross members, minimum.
Plenty of tricks and theories around as to how much weight to support at each point, and along the keel.
Cheers Kev.

jamesmcjim
20-07-2003, 04:35 PM
hi kev. sorry should have said it already has that.Its just that it also has side skids.Iam taking it to frazer hence the reason for wanting to put side rollers on. Its a pig to unload can cope on ramp but not in gutter.
cheers jim

peterbo3
20-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi Jim,
Couple of options.
1. Take it back to the manufacturer & ask them for their thoughts. They may even be able to supply the rollers cheaply. Best option. ;) ;)
2. Take it to a trailer parts supplier (there are a couple at Brendale).
3. Check with boat builder (if still around) & ask what they think you will need.

deb
23-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Have a squiz at the redco sportsman trailers , that is what dreamdays is on now and I can push it off with my little finger ;D The rockers and the the multi rollers instead of the skids are absolutely fantastic ;)

aido
23-07-2003, 03:28 PM
hi dreamdays,
is that like 2 long beams with inline rollers like skates upside down
with the beam pivoted in the centre?
saw something like this at the ramp the other day, thought it might be
a reasonably priced mod to get rid of the skids i've got.
presuming the keel rollers are retained.

can't find it on the www. got a picture or something more?

regds, aido.

deb
24-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Yeh!!!
Upside down roller skates and the rockers which are in the middle where the keel comes along has one at the back , first entry point, one on the next cross beam, motor and fuel tank weight really kick in, then normal ones. Changeover it makes a huge difference to launching and retrieving. Don't have a digi camera but the big marine dealers have them in the yard like northside at redcliffe or if you are out viccie point way, a few of the trailers at the vmr ramp are the same as mine.
cheers :D ;)

locomotion
25-07-2003, 09:31 AM
jim you are welcome to come over and see how my trailer is set up to give you some idea ( same as yours 16ft fibreglass roller trailer ) :D ;)

andy

jamesmcjim
25-07-2003, 03:48 PM
thanks andy. that would be great. where abouts are you .pm me a phone number maybe?
cheers jim.